Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

gremlins with a C200 W202 mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Default gremlins with a C200 W202 mercedes

Hi I have recently replaced the MAF on my mercedes as it was lacking performance and it made a banging sound through the air intake before kick-down and lacking in pulling power at low speeds. When I replaced the MAF the performance was like new, pick up and kick-down was great, Recently performance has dropped off, and fuel consumption has got silly, and occassionally my mercedes will run on two cylinders, (if I pull over and re-start the car it will run ok for a few miles before it happens again) Iam really stressed about this and can anyone shead any light on this problem, or has anyone had this happen to them. Many Thanks Alex.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM

as far as i know they did not sell C200s in the US C 220s at that time. im not familiar with that engine. they do usually sell smaller engines outside the US. and MB has different motors in different countries.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:54 PM

hi ive taken out a warrenty today with autoprotect its cost me £329.00 for 12 months and I have a per claim limit of £1K which is good basically it covers all engine workings, fuel, electrical, and auxillery accessories, so rarther than stabbing in the dark and listening to what people say iam going to take it to someone who knows what they are doing, as some of the messages which I have been sent are too silly to mention for example a some idiot told me to change the auto transmission fluid?? and check the fuses, how silly is that. so worst case with my mercedes if the ecu is faulty it will be replaced and I wont have a huge MB dealer price to pay (autoprotect is only available in the uk) ive also payed a bit more for the aircon, and abs but you work out mercedes dealer costs to rectify faults and its going to cost more than what ive payed for the insurance. A member, has also given me some information about the C Class, W202 series, and he told me they were built cheaply, to boost sales for mercedes, and that they are a unreliable car. The S class was built to very high standards and faultless, but relyed on cheap build C classes, to keep the cash comming in on expensive repairs, he told me the ecu, engine wiring, and various other sensors are all substandard and will need replacing at some point, the M111 engine also has a weak timing chain tensioner fitted also.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi, I've had the problem with the poor running sorted out, there were two faults, and both a design fault with mercedes M111 engines the first one was the cam shaft sensor, connection lead, as it had cracked and the fitments were loose, causing poor connection, and secondly there is a wire gauze under the throttle valve, this was contaminated with a combination of dirt and oil from the engine breath pipe, along with a thick band of carbon around the edge of the throttle valve, both was restricting the air flow into the engine, both faults have now been rectified, and performance and fuel consumption is excellent, ( I have been advised that the timing chain will need replacing as there is a slight rattle at low engine speed, (P.S I did not know mercedes also did a free transmission oil check aswell)