Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

C240 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Default C240 Starting Problem

Hello everyone. Any help would be appreciated?
Ok this is what happened. It was raining good ffor about two days. I drove my 2002 c240 on one of those days. The next morning the car wouldn't start. Everything working: instrument panel windows etc. You can turn the key to position 2 (ignition). When I tried to start it the starter didin't even move. The only thing I can hear is the cooling fan next to radiator which isblowing air. It spins at full power. My car is manual so I tried to push it. It didn't start. The display said "coolant visit workshop". I tried to start it every now and then that day but no luck.The following day it started right up. I guess the water was causing problem on the connectors somwhere an when it dried outit was ok. So after starting I drove a little and the the engine stopped but Iwas able to start it right up. Then id stopped again and I was not able to start it. Cooling fan again. After an hourit was fine again. And everyday it starts right up (it didn't rain yet). I read about the common crankshaft position sensor problem which would explain the sudden engine stall. But what is causing the fan to be on when unable to fire it up. And I tried to play with the CPS, that is I unpluged the wire from it and tried to startit. The starter was turning but I guess no spark. So it means that if it was faulty I would hear the starter but I was not.So I am buffled. I avoid driving it because I don't what it to die on me in the middle of busy street. I want to reproduce the symptoms to see which sensor is responsible for it. I read that there were few cases like that discused on the forum and tat the dealership was unable to read the code of because there wasn't any. Like I said when I tried to push it, it displayed the coolant message, so I am wondering if it is the temeperature sensor that was causing problem. Basically it was shutting the engine off. But the instrument cluster was showing 0 degres temperatur of the engine like it supposed to. I was wandering if anyone knows if there is another temperature sensor. I am running out of ideas. I checked the wires and the connections at the SAM module. Looked fine for me.
Any one with any ideas ??? Please let me know.