Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C240 Radiator leaking into transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Default C240 Radiator leaking into transmission...

Hey I was wondering if anyone had the same problem....

I have a 2003 C240 with about 65,000 miles. While driving, my car would start to shake and get all weird. When I took it to the mechanic, he say that the radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission and was causing it to lock up. It also caused the computer for the car to be ruined. Has anyone encountered the same problem???? It was VERY EXPENSIVE to fix.... and of course this happens after the last warranteed service!

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Default RE: C240 Radiator leaking into transmission...

I would most earnestly recommend a second opinion on this. I am unsure how radiator fluid would find its way into the transmission and even if this is possible, how it manages to destroy the computer on the way beats me! Plus if the computer is ruined how is the car running at all!

What do you mean by "all weird?" What sort of shaking? Does the whole vehicle shimmy and quiver? Does the steering wheel shake in your hands at certain speeds, are there bonking and vibrating sounds? Does it happen at specific speeds or engine rpms, in specific gears, while accelerating, while braking? Is it repeatable or does it happen sometimes and not others? Is it an up and down shake, side to side, all over the road? Is controlling the vehicle impacted? Can you feel it through the brake pedal?

Lawrence

Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Well I have to be honest my father noticed the shaking and vibrating.Most of the shaking occured while the car was acclerating. The car didn't make any sounds. The computer to the car was damaged pretty badly but the car was still running. The transmission was shot completely.

The mechanic told us that he has seen this problem before in the class. The radiator definitely leaked fluid into the transmission, which caused all the damage. That is definite.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM

There has been mention of this on other MB forums. The radiator ("Valeo" brand mentioned) was leaking engine coolant thru the cooling system. The trans. fluid would need to be replaced if you caught it early enough. If not, major service/rebuild or replacement.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM

The radiator also acts as a transmission cooler so that is where things stepped sideways in your case. The radiator will have to be replaced at the very least. If you are lucky and caught the problem early enough, a transmission flush may be all that is required but it is quite possible that the coolant took out your transmission and torque convertor at the same time. The only fix at that point is that those items will have to be replaced as well. Sorry, but the bill will be an expensive one.