Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c240 electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Default c240 electrical question

Hi. Does anybody know what is responsible for preventing the engine from operation due to overheating.
Is it the front SAM? Few weeks ago my car wouldn't start (no cranking), it is manual so i tried to push start itbut it didn't work it displayed the message "coolant visit workshop. Not the coolant levelmessage. And you could hear the radiator fan blowing air like crazy (very high rpms)even when the engine was cold. I was thinking maybe it was a failure in some sensor or the SAM. After a day the car was starting and running, sometimes it would shut off on me. After that day there is no problem. I brought it to the dealer but they did not fing anything wrong with it and let me go. They also charged me for not finding the problem.The car is working fine now but what if it happens to me again when I'm away from home. I can no longer depend on this car.
I was wandering if anybody knows what can be causing the car to act this way. And this is not the typical crankshaft position sensor because it was checked. Also when it is bad the starter will turn mine wasn't turning.
When the carwas in the "working mode" meaning starting up again I tried to disconnect the temperature sensor the one next to the thermostat and the car was still running only no temp was displayed on the instrument cluster. And the radiator fan was on working all the time but with normal speed. Is there anothertemperature sensor ? Or is the SAM acting crazy? Or is it something else?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Default RE: c240 electrical question

There should be separate temp sensors for the guage and the aux fan.
Normally, the sensor for the fanis of the on/off type. It grounds the fan relay when the coolant temp has reached a pre determined value. This temp is usually shownon the sensor.
The sensor for the guage is of the variable resistance type. The electrical resistance changes as the coolant temp changes.
Shan.