Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy...PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Default To buy or not to buy...PLEASE HELP!

Hi Everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a 2003 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport Coupe (6spd)from a used dealership this week (my first car!!). It has 110,000km on it and they are asking $12,500. No accidents (according to dealership and carfax). I am definetly not a car expert so anycomments would be so helpful...I am just wondering if anyone could provide some advice on whether this would be a good choice of vehicle to purchase in terms of reliability, cost of maintenance etc. Is it trulysuper-expensive to maintain as the rumoursgo???I am hoping to own it for at least the next 3 years or so. Does anyone know how many km one could get out of this type of vehicle? Also, I would be driving it year-round so I would appreaciate some information regarding performance in winter weather.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Emily

Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: To buy or not to buy...PLEASE HELP!

test drive it.
check what service has been done.
if you will use it for 3 years, get a 3 year warranty. that will save you from headache.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM

Hi. Not sure what options come with your car vs mine they were asking $19,900for C230K 036 speed with 26k miles in 06 sticker in glove box said new 25K. I paid 17k andthey threw in tires valuing $320.
Has been a great car fun to drive great gas milage 23.5 city 33+ Hwy.in the 2 years ive owned it have had to replace driver door lock actuator assy approx $175. i did my self very very dificult and I have experience and an aray of tools took me a day to complete, would cost more than double for dealer to do. other than that just regular maint oil, filters & front brake pads. Wind Wiper Blades. I do all the maint i can to cut cost dealers are expensive! But there are other alternatives.
Was disapointed to find out hands free phone through radio and steering wheel were not fully installed even though it looked simple plug an adapter into socket in armrest. but after investigating found where the component were not installed( under carpet in hatch and behind Passenger side panel in hatch.
would cost approx 2k through dealer found a less expensive alternative online for $600. Supposed to work seamlessly with this car except for phone number list in phone. Still seems to much thou. Oh yeah for me it handled real well in the winter and I live in PGH PA.
Hope this helped and if there are any more questions email me.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Not a bad price for the car, but I'd be a little concerned with the mileage. Parts might be ready to be replaced. Bargain them down to 12000 AFTER taxes and registration fees, and an extended warranty, and now you're talking.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM

I would go lower price start at $9,000 then see how they respond let them know you like the car but are concerned about the high miles. Not too many cars make it to 200k miles so in essence there is less than 1/2 the life of the care left and its the half with expensive mechanical problems. so the value of the car is less than 1/2 the retail value. Have you checked Kelly blue book trade in and resale and pick a number below the middle mark.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 PM

From my not so great experience..I say DON'T DO IT. All mercedes are " super-expensive" to maintain, and IMO- not very reliable. Also in winter- I hope you can handle slips and skids and near spin outs very well. I learned not to drive mine in the snow the hard way. Good Luck with your decision!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 PM

Price seems barely OKgiven the high mileage. If you haven'tdone so already, there are a number of 03 coupes on Autotrader.ca at both higher and lower prices depending on the mileage. Does the car have the panoramic roof, leather, Bose, CD, Evolution package etc. All of these items were options and can drive up the resale value. My 02 was fully loaded, bought brand new and still only has 37,000km.
MB dealership maintenance usually runs around $110/hr in Canada. My experience with non MB repair shops has been questionable. The rates are less but they take more time finding the problems so the costs end up about the same.
I would strongly suggest you buy fourwinter tires. My 02is parked for most of the winter since A) we don'tdrive it allyear and B) we don't have winter tires. Any rear wheel drive car changes drastically (for the better) when winter tires are added.
Best of luck.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM

throw a low ball offer and see what they say, and do the maint. ur self not as hard as it seems cuz it a benz.