Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of buying a '99 C280 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Default thinking of buying a '99 C280 Sport

I am currently thinking of purchasing a '99 C280 Sport with around 60K miles on it. Are there any known class problems/weidness that I should be aware of? It seems to be a good car, always properly maitained and garaged. The one drawback is that it has no CD player, and I've been told I would be better off $wise replacing the whole head unit with an aftermarket rather than going with a Mercedes CD changer. Any thoughts?

Old 05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Default RE: thinking of buying a '99 C280 Sport

I have a 99 C280, non sport model. The only problem area I had with the car in almost 4 years of ownerships is the battery. I am on my third one. The dealer's Tech they had a problem with leaking batteries, which the first two did do. Other then that I had one O2 sensor replaced and one MAF. The car has been trouble free.

As far as the sound system. Mine didn't come with a CD player. A local sound shop in this area carries the MB CD player for this car. IMHO the sound of the Cd's are excellent. This is a fiber optic system, so changing it all over is the only way to get a non MB system and Big $$. Unless you are a real music nut or want a banging best that can be heard all over the area your in, the stock Cd player does a excellent job. For $350 plus $50 install for the stock CD player, is a bargain.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks C280 Wizard, I had heard much higher prices than that and also that only MB dealers had the equipment to program the head unit, what car audio shop did you use? Is it a national chain? I live in s FL.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:45 PM

No it is a local shop located in West Springfield, Ma. When I bought the car, the Mercedes salesperson told me to go there and buy the player as it is a couple of hundred $$ cheaper. I checked the parts list I have and the part numbers matched and Mercedes Benz is inprinted on the changer, and of course the fiber optic connections are there.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Hi,
I think that another option if you are mechanically inclined is to go on eBay.
Should be easy enough to find the MBZ part number and take it from there.
I think I paid about $250 for mine. It installed easily enough as the player came with the mounting brackets.
Of course cavet emptor !!! Buyer Beware ! or is it Aware ??

Ed

Old 05-20-2005, 04:12 PM

As soon as I got my car, I put in a Die Hard battery. Original MB battery is a p-o-j.

Make sure you disconnect the Ground wire first upon taking out the old battery. Also, don't forget to hook up the acid reflux tubing. Otherwise H2SO4 will eat up your trunk. The CD Changer will take the hit first as it is the closest to the battery and thus will be in touch with the acid vapor constantly.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:04 PM

anyone have the part number for a MB cd changer for a 99 C280?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:17 PM

Well I'm going to get it, a 99 C280 Sport, all the bells and whistles except for a CD Changer. Looking for some performance tweeks. Are there hotter chips and such out there for MB's. I've only played with american steel up to now. Any Ideas/Thoughts are welcome.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Installing CD mount?

I have a 2000' C-280. I bought the proper CD mounting bracket from my local MB dealer, but they could not tell me how it mounted to the vehicle. I found this on another post here, does anyone know if this is the right way to hook it up for this year car?

INSTALLATION OF CD CHANGER
1. Remove hardware from shipping box and verify contents.
2. Remove shipping screws from CD changer. Place shipping screws in ID card bag. Cover screws holes with dust covers.
3. Remove trunk floor mat.
4. Locate factory bus cable in right wheel well.
5. Attach CD changer to CD mounting bracket using four screws. Ensure that the red WARNING label faces in towards the bracket.
6. Connect bus cable to CD changer.
7. Position CD changer unit into right wheel well so that the stud on the bottom of the mounting bracket fits into the predrilled mounting
point located on side member behind battery.
8. Continue to position the CD changer unit so that the tabs on mounting bracket align over predrilled factory mounting locations.
9. Secure top mounts with screws. Secure bottom mount (stud) with 6 mm nut using a 1/4" drive.
10. Install CD changer cover.
11. Install CD magazine in to CD changer unit.
12. Reinstall trunk floor mat.
13. Test function.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Installing CD mount?

Hello folks!, sound slike i'm not the only one looking for cd changer help...I located the connection like a pc 10/12 pin..though it was on the left side of tire well...still contemplating whether to get the changer or go after market..some of the newer units come with blue tooth intergration...any thoughts, any-one?...
On another point, i have a lot of static from the am/fm...have I blown et another SENSOR?....
your thoughts..

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a '99 C280 Sport