Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

To buy or not to buy? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Default To buy or not to buy? Please help

I need your help in deciding to buy a used 1998 SLK with 41,152 miles. Can you guys please give me any feedback on what you would do in this situation. How many problems have you guys found in the later years of your car. Are there any specific problems that have risen in the later years of your cars life?

Thanks for any help</P>

</P>

Justin</P>

Old 02-23-2004, 11:42 AM

Justin,</P>

You didn't mention the price on the 98 SLK, but unless it is under $20,000 I would not buy this first model year car. Also, you wanted me to elaborate on my "waste of money" statement I made on a previous post. If I were buying an SLK today, I would look for a used 2001 or 2002 model. You can find many of these cars with very low mileage and in showroom condition for a lot less than the new selling price. When I purchased my 2001 SLK230 in Oct. 2000, I had to call around to find one in stock and the dealers were telling me that they were getting sticker price for these cars. After five minutes of negotiating and closing a no trade-in cash deal with the sales manager, I was told that a buyer in South Florida wanted this car for sticker price. Well Justin, things have changed. During my SIX trips to the service department over the last 2 months I couldn't believe the number of brand new 2003 and 2004 SLK models that are in stock, and a few yards away are many used SLK's for bargain prices. New models seem to come in faster than going out. </P>

Maybe this situation varies in different areas of the country, but if I were buying my first SLK today, I would be patient and look for a used, showroom condition, low mileage, garaged kept, never smoked in, like new 2001 SLK230 for between $22,000 and $25,000. They are out there and the demand has never been lower.</P>

Therefore, I would pass on the 98 model unless it is around $16,000 and you really want the car.</P>

I have my car back from the service dept. and things appear to be fixed. The dealer addressed all of my concerns and corrected the problems. The fuel sending unit was replacedwhen my car was in for the second service and fuel was spilled, causing fuel odors and other problems. Now I'm back to feeling good about my car and glad that I chose this model over the BMW Z3 and the Porsche Boxter.</P>

Good Luck,</P>

Dave</P>

</P>

Old 02-23-2004, 02:32 PM

Thanks a lot for your input. The car with 41,000 miles is $19,000. I have been looking around and so far this has been the best price I can find. I am still in college and I can't swing any price over $20,000 or I would go for the newer model. I have noticed the same thing during my searchs, but I just can't go that high. Knowing this would you recommend going for it or not? Do you have any places I should search for a SLK around $20,000?</P>

</P>

Thanks for your input,</P>

Justin</P>

Old 02-23-2004, 04:27 PM

Justin,</P>

In what city are buying the car, or what major city are you near? The miles are good/reasonable on the car and as long as you like it and it is the color you want, then you should come out fine. If yousell the carafter 4 or five years and maintain the car properly, you should lose very little money compared to buying new. Is the paint and interior in good condition?Any uneven tire wear and/or number of miles on existing tires? Are the original brake pads on the car or at what mileage were the pads replaced? Are the service records up to date? Are the original manuals/booklets/radio code card with the car in the leather holder? Is the electric tire pump and tool kit inside the trunk/spare tire? Are all of the keys with the car (2 remotes, 1 regular key, 1 valet key)? Does the hardtop appear to operate and fit properly?Check for any signs of body damage from an accident. Is there anything that this car needs at this time to make it in perfect condition? Hope these questions are of some help and guidance.</P>

If the car is in original condition with 41,000 miles, your only upcoming expenses should be tires and/or brakes, other than regular maintenance. I have purchased several used Mercedes over the years and have never regretted buying them. </P>

Good Luck,</P>

Dave (slk230red) Tampa Bay Area</P>