Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Scratch Window Tint kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Default Anti-Scratch Window Tint kit

http://www.tintprotector.com/mercedes.htm

Keep your C class scratch free!

Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Anti-Scratch Window Tint kit

[:@] You should see the front door glass on my C230K. Horrible. I had them tinted for the Arizona sun and they now look like somebody took a sharp object and scratched the glass vertically about 100 times. Come to find out, Mercedes weatherstrips up against the glass on the inside are so tight (as are some other makes of cars) that they are particularly prone to scratching.....hence.....the market for people who either sell something to replace the factory weatherstrips with something that won't scratch the film (like this moleskin stuff) or do the job themselves by removing the door panels and so on. DON'T have the tint done unless you do the weatherstrip replacement. What a mess. Never had another car that did it this badly. Here in the brutally hot summers, everybody tints the glass....you almost have to just to survive a summer driving. The factory tints don't cut it for the desert. It takes a while for the tint to get scratched, but believe me.....it will in time.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:39 PM

I hear you!

The hard plastic weather-strip will always scratch the tint in the end. It will leave streaks in film for sure.

It's easy to install the Moleskin. At least you won't have to keep re-tinting your car over and over again.

Most tint shops warranty their tint for life. Just get it re-tinted for free then add the moleskin kit.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:11 PM

After it happened, I went back to the tint shop. They told me due to the fact that Mercedes makes the seal so tight between the weatherstrip and the glass, that ALL tint jobs on those cars will eventually scratch. Gee. Thanks a lot for telling me that BEFORE you did the job! Now, to get it re-done, I'd have to pay to have all the old tint removed, pay for the moleskin, and re-pay for a new window tint job. You don't wanna know the cost.
I'm living with the scratches.