Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint getting scratched

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Default Window tint getting scratched

I have a 2005 C230K and had my windows professionally tinted with ceramic tint earlier this summer. Jus trecently I noticed vertical scratches on the tint mainly in the drivers and passenger side windows (the ones I open most frequently). I took it back and the installers told me that this is common to Mercedes' and other luxury cars because the mechanisms holding the windows is so superior that they are usually very tight and any little bit of dirt that naturally seeps into the window sills will cause it to scratch. This response sounds plausible to me, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue before.

By they way, I started noticing my friend's Acura's, BMW's, Lexus, etc and see the same problem with their tint. What do you think?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Default RE: Window tint getting scratched

i bought a used 99 C280 sport and the back windows are tinted (im guessing 50% or something light) and i have noticed the same vertical scratches on both rear windows. Im planning to get all the windows 20% tinted and im concerned that the scratches may persist. i have never found out why but what you were told seems reasonable. Im woundering how we are suposed to get the dirt out.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:05 PM

There's actually a lip that the tint installer needs to bend down in order to keep the tint from being scratched.

From http://benzforum.com/howtos/howto_05.php

The window's bottom frame edge is abrasive on the inside where the tint will be applied. This will cause vertical scratches on your tint as the window is lowered and raised. The solution is to have your window tint shop replace this abrasive edge with something software. Some users have reported using "mouse fir" trim or even "moleskin" trim. One user reported that his shop was able to 'bend' the factory trim so it would not scratch the tint.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 PM

i HAVE FACTORY TINTS FROM mERCEDES AND SAME PROBLEM. I HEARD OF A LIP NEEDING TO BE BENT, BUT IM NOT DOING THAT MYSELF, ILL DRIVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL AND LET THEM HANDLE IT. IM JUST GONNA RETINT MY SCRATCHED WINDOWS

Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Is this something complicated? Do they have to open up the door panels?

Old 08-14-2006, 11:26 PM

what do you exactly have to remove/replace so the tint doesn't get scratched. pics would be great. Thank You

Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 PM

Its that rubber lip that you see on the inside of your door right on the window. From what I heard, they take a tool to pull it back and they either heat it up or coat the inside of the lip to prevent it from scratching your tints

Old 08-15-2006, 12:14 AM

is it the rubber or something under/beneath the rubber. and if you were to bend it will it cause leaks or any damage to my car.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:56 AM

they are readjusting the inner rubber liner, so it wont cause any harm to the outer rubber. Im not sure how exactly this process is done, but I might get mine done this week, so Ill let you know how it works out

Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 AM

can you please put pictures up once its done so i can do mine the same way. Thanks You Polishpat

Quick Reply: Window tint getting scratched