Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

Old 03-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Default RE: Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

I haven't installed it yet...I've checked with Best Buy and Circuit City and they both charge around $50 for complete installation of satelite radio (XM or Sirius) including the Pro-Fit bracket...the reason I decided to do it myself is because they have never installed a satelite set up in C230K...they looked at the center console and said: "It looks tight, but it shouldn't be a problem because we get detailed instructions with Pro-Fit bracket..." That didn't sound like a whole lot of confidence to me, plus those instructions are on Pro-Fit's website, so I decided to do it myself...will let you know how it goes...

Old 03-20-2005, 09:29 PM

I really like the factory Sirius receiver. It takes 20 minutes to install, and part of that is waiting for the paint to dry.
The List is 679, dealer cost is 483, so demand a discount. Remember th price includes 14 months of service.

My C240 is a 2005 Wagon, so the antenna goes in the roof. Drilling a hole in a new $40,000 car is a bit scary, but I did it. I then used factory primer to prevent rust around the hole. MBZ suggests a thing called a unibit to drill the hole. Since it has to be EXACTLY 20mm, I looked for the unibit. Metric unibits are hard to find and cost $50. I used a chassis punch from Mouser Electronics (20mm $19.50.) Using a 20mm drill will dimple the panel, and result in an out-of-round hole. A chassis punch makes a clean smooth hole. There are two step washers supplied with the antenna, make sure you use the right one for your sheet metal thickness so your antenna does not pop off on the freeway.

Make sure the dealer gives you the correct "kit" because the bracket AND the fiber optic connector is different from car to car. 2005 cars use MOST (Meadia Oriented System Transport) to carry the signal from the receiver to the head unit. There are a lot of D2B units out there that won't work in a 2005.

You need to install a fuse in the fuse panel (supplied) and bolt the unit to the bracket. Find the SDAR fiberoptic cable in the rear and snap the DC power connector into the fiber optic cable housing. Plug it into the receiver. Connect the two antenna wires to the antenna. You need to fiddle with the fiber optic connections depending on what options are on your car, Harmon/Kardon audio, Teleaid, and integrated telephone. If you just have the stock radio, no phone, no teleaid Use the SDAR connector as it comes, and change two fiber optic cables on the right side of the transmission hump under the shifter. Just peel back the carpet to see the orange fiber optic cables. HU means head unit, and SDAR means Sat Digital Audio Radio. Connect them to loop together.

Next you need to connect to the STAR DIAGNOSE computer and tell the system you have SDAR. It will not work unless this is done. It should take the dealer 10 minutes to acomplish this (including car wash), so don't pay more than $50 or a half hour. Call the number on the HU screen and give them the ESN (electronic serial number.) Give them your Email address and ask for a password. so you can hear the music streams on your computer.

There is an INF button on the HU and it will display the title and artist on the HU. The instrument cluster will display the channel on its little display. You can program the preselect buttons on the HU, just like for AM/FM.

Here is a tip, every time you start the car the radio looks for the Sats. Don't move the car until it finds the signal, or it might never come in until you restart the car. If you are in a garage, when you get outside turn off the motor and restart. It will ususally find the signal in less than ten seconds.

Oh, I tried an RF unit, the sound was terrible. I tried a unit connected to the AUX input of the HU, it was crap, could not stay locked on the signal. I tried to use an antenna hidden in the grill on the hood, it was not good at all. I painted the antenna to match my body color, but it just did not look right, so I blasted it back to black, now it matches the stock phone antenna.

Yeah, its expensive, but it is gooooooooooooood!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM

I love my Factory installed SAT receiver also. And thanks for all the tips. Let me ask you a question. Like you stated, you can use the INF button to scroll through the Song name, Artist and the channel name; is there a way to have the song name/artist scroll across the display and refresh after each new song? My Audi A4's head unit displayed the channel, Artist and the song and continuously scrolled across the display and refreshed with a new song... Just curious!

Old 03-21-2005, 06:01 PM

I currently have XM and didn't want to change to Sirius. I love having the Aux Input available and am connecting this up to the Line Out on the XM Commander. If there's been a problem with signal locking using this approach, it's the third-party antenna and receiver, and not the functionality of the Aux Input. I also use the Aux Input for my iPod and the quality, although not true digital, is extremely good and far superior to an FM modulator.

Although not the perfect solution, I'm content using the Aux Input with an A-B switch for XM or iPod.

Mark
'02 CLK320

Old 03-27-2005, 11:59 AM

Hi,

I also have a 2005 C-230 and I got the dealer to install the sat. I hated the look of the huge black antenna so I got a shop to color match it to my car and now it looks MUCH better. Only $20.

Question for you: I have had a problem with every 6th or 7th engine start never getting a satellite signal. The service guy knows about the problem but so far there is no fix. Have you experienced this? Also, do you know how to get the display to show more info? Sometimes it won't all fit in the screen so I want it to scroll.

Do you have the upgraded stereo? I am thinking of adding speakers to the rear shelf where there currently are none.

Arty

Old 04-01-2005, 12:27 AM

I have experienced the s ame issue once in a while. The Satellite radio will only display "Acquiring". I've found the only way to correct this is to turn the power off and remove the key from the igintion, wait a few seconds and turn the car and the stereo on. I've only had this issue a couple of times and I've called the MB dealer about it. They have advised that I bring the car back in if the problem gets any worse and they may have to replace the antenna.
As far as the rear speakers go, I have heard that it can be added, but I am waiting to hear more about the size and weather the 2005 model is prewired for it. I'll let you know once I find more.
Cheers

Old 04-01-2005, 12:46 AM

We should keep in touch. I'd be interested to know what you experience over the life of the vehicle. I love mine so far. Only 5,000 miles.

The dealer told me it had nothing to do with the antenna and he knew about the problem of only "acquiring". Yes, you have to restart the car. I was able to get $500 back from the dealer since he admitted it wasn't working properly. I have found that if you put the key in the ignition and wait about three seconds before then starting the car that the problem doesn't surface.

I got a brilliant silver Kompressor, and you?

Good luck with it.

Arty

Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 AM

Hey folks,

I installed this Sat Reciever myself, took me less than a hour and drilled no holes....all wireless, including an FM transmitter, and anten. This had a wire leading from the back of the unit to the antenna on the roof, however with some time I worked it into the molding around the front glass and up the rain gutter. Looks great and works well.

Barry

Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Default Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

Had my 05 C- Sedan in for service today. MB just released a service bulletin on the Sirius issue and is addressing the problem by replacing the module with an updated module and firmware which should correct the issue. The part is on order and should be here in the next week or two.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Go with the OEM install, having the integration is nice, I just had it done in March. They offered me a TERK antenna that sits above the antenna on the roof, it is small and black and requires no holes in the trunk lid. Reception is great, but do ask about a technical bulletin regarding the ACQUIRING issue. Every 7th or so start, the "Acquiring" message appears and will not go away until a couple restarts. The dealer has the parts on order and is fixing it next week. The only complaints I have are:

1) The area in the head unit will not display the entire song name or artist and there is no way to scroll to the right.

2) When you use the controls on the steering wheel, it only scrolls through all the stations and not your pre-sets. You have to use the numeric keypad on the right to select your presets or type * then the station number to enter the station.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230