Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Default Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

I am contemplating whether to add the factory Sirius Satelite system to my 2005 C230 Sedan. According to the dealer, a sperate Satellite receiver is added in the trunk which will connect to the existing head unit in the cabin. I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone added the MB factory Sirius Satellite as an add on option?
2) I am told by the dealer that the existing factory installed head unit remains and the only addition, is the new Satellite receiver in the trunk. True?
3) Do you get the detailed artist/song information on the system display screen after the Satellite install? Do you have any pictures?
4) Is this a DIY job? The dealer is asking $175 for the install.. How difficult is it?

I appreciate a reply back soon..
Thanks

Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver

If you had any other car I would say use the FM converter that is usually supplied with these satelite units and go thru your antenna. But we have Mercedes Benz automobiles and that complicates things. I have a 99 C280 with the Bose sound system. I went to a audio shop that I have done business with for decades, and they would have used the FM converter method with my setup, but wouldn't guarantee this type of set up wouldn't interfere with any other systems in the car, so I passed. My Nokia hand held cell phone has caused problems with the electrics when I leave it on in the car. Price was a about the same as you were quoted. So IMHO I would pay the $175 and let them do it, at least you will have some sort of warranty.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Default Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver

I just had my dealer install the Sirius Satelite system in my car. The sound quality is surprisingly really good. The new receiver was installed in the trunk and a new Satelite antenna attached to the trunk lid. The installation was very clean and professional. The factory head unit remained, but I now have some new options on the display screen for the Satelite radio. You also get the song title and the Artist information on the display. The best part of Sirius Radio is that you can also listen to streamming Radio on the Net. You are provided with a user id and password to log in. I am having my computer connected to my Stereo system. Overall, very happy with the unit thus far.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Default RE: Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver

My recomendation would be to go with a PNP model rather than the auto integrated solution. With PNP, you can take the radio into your house and connect it to the stereo. I am surpirsed at how much I listen to my Sirius radio in the house. Once you get accustomed to the ad free programming it is very difficult ot listen to regular radio.

I use the FM tranmitter in my 99 c230k with no trouble and actually use hte FM transmitter in my house so I can listen on any stereo (even tranmits strong enough for me to listen to on a walkman radio while mowing the lawn).

Old 03-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

I checked with my MB dealer and he quoted me $699 for the Sirius Satellite set up (includes 14 months of pre-paid service)...

Old 03-17-2005, 10:56 AM

$699 does not include install..... My dealer quoted me $875 including install..... The work sheet shows 3 1/2 hours of labor....

Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 PM

You're right fshams...$699 price does not include install...my dealer quoted me $825 total (includes 2 1/2 hrs. of labor)...however, I didn't see any advantages in having MB installed Sirius other than not being visible at all...Disadvantages: MB wants to drill a hole in the middle of the trunk lid for the antenna; no portable receiver that you could possible take home and use with your docking station; cost is five times higher than that of an after-market set up; limited display...after doing a little research, I think I'm gonna go with an after-market set with Pro-Fit bracket and do it myself...

Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Default Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230

I've been looking for the Profit bracket, but thus far they havent come out with one that fits the 2005 Sedan.... Have you had any luck?

Old 03-17-2005, 07:03 PM

I have 2004.5 C230 Sedan and I think I can use Pro-Fit bracket for 2001-2003 C230 models, which is their latest model according to their website...I looked at Pro-Fit's installation instructions and the pictures of the radio area look just like what I have in my car...have you checked with Pro-Fit to see if this bracket would fit your car??

Old 03-18-2005, 12:53 AM

Yes.. I have checked with Profit.. They cant guarantee that the bracket would fit, since they haven't yet retrofit one for the 2005 model. I would like to purchase the bracket to attach a GPS navigation unit to it. How easy was your bracket install? Do you have any pictures?

Quick Reply: Adding MB Sirius Satellite receiver to 2005 C230