Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 C230....LOUD SQUEAK in dash problem...solved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Figured it out and that annoying noise is long gone. Thank you very much!!

Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks again mrcoyote! Absolutely the solution for me. Just brought home a 2007 c230. Test drove with the windows down then didn't notice the incessant chirping until turning off the radio during the drive home. That noise drove me crazy! Put a screwdriver on the white tab and released it from bondage. Satisfaction! Mercedes Forum and mrcoyote to the rescue. Thanks folks!

Last edited by oxfordwroteshakespeare; 10-20-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Default Very good advice!

Originally Posted by mrcoyote
My car is in the shop and they gave me an '07 C230 sedan to drive with 6K miles on it. As SOON as I left the dealership,
that car had a brutal squeaking noise kinda like a repetitive chirping coming from what seemed like the center of the dash.
VERY irritating to say the least. I would have taken it back immediately for another car it was so bad, but I was already out
on the freeway, and I thought of something I had read here on this forum about this problem MB has had with these cars and
this particular squeak. I remembered that it was something NOT inside the car, but under the hood in the rear by the firewall.
So, I took the car home, popped the hood, and looked in back of the engine up against the firewall.....and found what I had
remembered was the problem. Look for a braided nylon sheath with wires in it maybe 1/2 inch wide. It's held to the firewall
by what looks like some kind of fancy plastic clip thingy. Love that word "thingy". I pulled the sheath OUT of the clip and sort
of pulled outward on the plastic clip (away from the firewall). Looking at it, I thought........there's NO WAY that piece of plastic
and a nylon wiring harness could be making a loud chirping noise inside the car. No way. I would have bet on it. And, once again,
I would have lost that bet. Took the car for a test ride and GONE. Somebody posted about this, so I apologize and not trying
to rip off anybody's post, but.....I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't heard it. It really sounds like it's right there
inside the car.

Maybe by posting this (again) now, it will save somebody a lot of grief tracking this thing down.
The cure might be to take a nylon wire tie or something and re-do it and then test drive it.
I'm not sure how many model years this problem is applicable to, but.......

mrcoyote[8D]
Very good advice! I cannot thank you enough! I bought my C230 and literally got it from the showroom 12 years ago! To my dismay, I heard the same squeaking sound from where I thought was the dashboard area. Dealership told me it would just go away. Last month (2019), I could still hear the sound. They told me that it actually came from the AC motor and that it would cost me $500!
i reasoned out that it couldn’t have been the AC motor because I could only hear it when the car is running!
this morning,
i changed my Crankshaft Position magnets last week also(saved $400) because of a retarded timing. I only have 26T miles on this and was so desperate to get rid of the squeaking sound!
i read your post and did the same thing you did (nylon sheathing and all) and I don’t hear the squeak anymore!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

And by the way, the Crankshaft Adjuster magnets took me only 20 minutes to replace myself!!!