Mercedes Benz Forum Help & Suggestion Center Have a suggestion to better Mercedes Forum? Need help with a feature on Mercedes Forum? Post here.

E320 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Default E320 no crank

Hello, I have a Mercedes e320 and I was driving when I noticed smoke coming from the hood. I pulled over and turned the car off myself, looked under hood and noticed the tensioner pulley broke. Obviously this is an issue being the belt was just sitting in on the rest of the pulleys. I immediately jumped in and tried to start it, nothing no crank. I recently had the starter solenoid replaced. Being that I turned the car off I'm confused why it will not crank with a new belt and pulley installed. Could it be the starter itself or is it some kind of safety mode because the car was running without a belt.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Morvic
Hello, I have a Mercedes e320 and I was driving when I noticed smoke coming from the hood. I pulled over and turned the car off myself, looked under hood and noticed the tensioner pulley broke. Obviously this is an issue being the belt was just sitting in on the rest of the pulleys. I immediately jumped in and tried to start it, nothing no crank. I recently had the starter solenoid replaced. Being that I turned the car off I'm confused why it will not crank with a new belt and pulley installed. Could it be the starter itself or is it some kind of safety mode because the car was running without a belt.
The belt broke off so the alternator is not charging the battery. As soon as the belt broke off the battery charge light should have come on the steering would have also gotten stiff. Is the battery just dead?

Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 AM

Battery is fine, even then the car never died out, I would have been able to get a crank out of it. I turned the car off the minute I heard the problem,and one minute after that I tried to restart it, no crank. Is there anything that could stop the car from starting after it was running without tension other then a bad battery.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 AM

Have you had the ignition switch checked?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM

As for the ignition switch I feel my problem is related to the car running without the belt tension for the minute it was. I never had a problem with it starting. Is there any sensor on this car that will burn out due to the car running without tension.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM

Battery is testing perfectly fine,could it still be the reason it will not crank, I keep hearing that the k40 relay could be the issue,is that possible. Could it be that when the tensioner broke the relay burnt out. Is there any other relay or sensor that could have fried in result??