Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 BAS Warning Light, Car won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Arrow E320 BAS Warning Light, Car won't crank

Driving home yesterday, BAS warning light suddenly came on 2001E320 4matic sedan and my car lost power, so much so I had difficulty getting up into my driveway. After parking the car in the garage, it no longer cranks at all. My local dealership can't get to it for a couple of days, I have a local mechanic, and I am wondering about MB Emergency service if it is a battery problem. I don't know which way to turn. Help.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 AM

well could be voltage issue with battery or alternator. if you think thats ok then could be really anything. need more info

Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM

I can only say that I hadn't any warning about battery problems. Indicator said I had 3 warnings but when I turned the car off and then attempted to restart, it said no warnings... but wouldn't crank.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM

if its not cranking then i would suspect a battery. how old is the battery? 4 yrs or older...need a new one. try jumping starting the car and see what happens. how the engine belt? did it break? you would have lost power steering and battery charge if the belt broke.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 AM

The battery is about 4 years old. Would that have caused all the warning lights and flashings and the power loss? A battery problem would be a wonderful solution via MB roadside service. Other problems would mean towing and a rental car. I didn't lose power steering; car just drove like it was stuck in 4th gear (it's an automatic) and almost didn't make it up my driveway hill; as if it wouldn't downshift for the slight climb. Even pulling away from a stop, the motor had to gun a little before the car started to move.

Last edited by billt2; 10-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM

road side could replace a battery for you...some of the rules have changed with roadside assistance. but yes they can put a battery in your car..depends on if youve spend 150.00 dollars at a delaership. not sure of the details but they stopped the roadside for all benz owners. they now want you to spend 150 a year to keep roadside. dont quote me on that though.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM

I just went out and checked it this morning. The key operated the ignition in that all lights came on, the radio, even the a/c came on. No indicator lights at all. But no sign of the engine turning over at all.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 AM

so the key turns but it does not crank? battery still could be low and not enough juice to start. try jumping the car if you can. then that way youll know if it could be a battery issue. road side could come out and install the battery..then maybe he can help try to figure out whats wrong if its not the battery. but 4 yr old battery should be replaced anyway. and winter is coming.Battrey voltage very critical on a Benz.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Would a battery issue cause the BAS lights and the power loss though?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM

absolutely! bas and esp light CAN come on when battrey or alternator is weak.Ive seen it many times. and if the engine does not have enough voltage while driving, it will sputter and run like crap. usually the alternator willl supply enough voltage to engine if battrey is weak, but if the battrey gets really weak it can strain the alternator and will affect cars voltage system.

Quick Reply: E320 BAS Warning Light, Car won't crank