General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

transmission problem for c280

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Default transmission problem for c280

my 2000 ,C280 would not shift to higher gears but one only when in drive.what do you think can be cause of this.The car is actually in limp mode and im wondering if this can be a cause.please just give me an idea before i go to the dealer.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 AM
Default RE: transmission problem for c280

Hi,
Limp mode impacts engine and transmission characteristics.
You need to determine what the fault codes are on the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) to get an idea of why the vehicle went into limp.
Were you the guy asking about a selector stuck in Park? Is this sorted now? Possibly linked.
Stuart

Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks Stuart.When the car got stuck in the Park gear, I called the road assistance service and they told me how to release it manually.But everytime I park now,it gets stuck still and i have to keep releasing it manually everytime i have to drive.The road assistance service told me to get it to the dealer cause its now in limp mode.But whenever I try to drive the car off, it would not drive in higher gears but for gear one only.i really dont know if the limp mode could be a cause for his effect too.But how do i read the faulty code on the OBD.Sometimes my BAS and ESP sensor light comes on too.Any more ideas?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 AM

Hi Sixsense,
The electrical safety system that prevents your car being started in gear etc. is not woirking correctly. This could be for a number of reasons. Poor linkage adjustment, failed solenoid, broken brake light switch etc.
However I see that you have another post in which you state that drink was accidentally spilled into the speed selector plate. I'm not sure whether there are any electronics immediately below this plate in your vehicle. Electronics don't like water, especially fizzy drinks.

As a quick potential solution check to see whether your brake lights are working.
Also try pressing the brake pedal harder than normal when you try to move the gear selector.

With respect to why the car is in Limp Mode you need to read the OBD codes. To do this you need a scan tool but unless you understand what the codes mean this may not help you very much. I understand why you are concerned.

Why not get the dealership (preferable) / garage to scan the system for you and give you a written report of the codes and content of the flash memory (conditions prevailing when Limp initiated) before committing to any rectification work.
You could then "Post" these codes and we will see if we can offer any further advice.
These sorts of problems are difficult to resolve with data.
Stuart