General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Steering Wheel off center. My 79

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Default Steering Wheel off center. My 79

450SLC steering wheel is off center. I don't think it is the camber or suspension in general, as it was all replaced two years ago and since then the car has been driver 2500 miles. I have the factory service manuals for the car and looked up the procedure, which is straight forward except for one thing, most steering wheels I have pulled, need a steering wheel puller to work it off the splie. ther eis no mention using a puller. Can anyone advice me if I need a puller or not. I think two spline's to the left will straigthen the wheels. As I said it doesn't pull either driving, little to no correction as long as the steering wheel is off center, and there is no pull when the brakes are applied. Think I am on the right frequency here? to adjust the wheel?

Also, when I brake the car, there is a sound from the right front brake, almost sounds like a clip or something has worked loose, any suggestions for this?

Thanking you all in advance.

Al the Class and 450 SLC man

Old 11-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Steering Wheel off center. My 79

I've pulled a few steering wheels without a puller. Just be patient and pull, wiggle, rock, cuss, and tap it until it comes off. It helps if you close your eyes before you start and meditate until your Kung Fu is strong.

Best to pull the wheels and take a look for the cause of the braking sound. Us taking pot shot guesses isn't going to help you. Those are disc, aren't they? I'd pull the right front wheel first, but don't discount the other wheels if you don't see something right away. It's very hard to tell exactly where a sound is coming from when you're inside the car and it's moving. It could be coming from the rear wheels.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:34 PM

Never used puller for any steering wheel removal. Main reason was, that the pullers I have never fit the wheel and I didn't want to live marks on soft parts.
Tapping with rubber mallet do the trick.
Before moving the steering wheel I would check the brake problem and wheels alignment.
Changing the suspensions adjustments will change the steering wheel position.
Maybe that's what happen in the first place?

Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

with your back problem, i doubt you can excert enough force to do it.

in my case, i remove the bolt, then screw it in two turns to avoid smacking my face with the wheel.

move the seat fully to the back, both feet against the floor, pull hard slightly wiggling it out.

make a chalk mark or or masking tape on the position first.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 AM

His wife already messed up his face. He can't make it worse. Okay, just kidding.

Good tip on leaving the nut/bolt on and marking the starting position. Life is NOT a bitch if you plan ahead.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:35 PM

No, my soon to be ex wife, messed up my head, inside that is. I have a russian pistol I got of the body of a NVA in 69, but it is all rusty and I had the barrel plug. She knows I had the barrel plugged when our kids were born, but I would like to hold it up to my head, no bullets in chamber or barrel and tell her I am going to splatter my brains all over her. But I don't think her lawyer would appreciate that. In this state, the man is screwed, even if he is the plaintiff. Women have all the rights, and all I need is for her to cry wolf again. I couldn't tell my part of the story at the first hearing. This is justice??? Anyway about the noise

The more I hear the "noise" I now think it is coming from the transmission, and I think it is a loose linkage. When you move the selector from P to R, N, D, S, L you have to move the lever back and forth and then it goes in gear, the tranny is not slipping and the lever itself is loose? Also, at certain speeds it stops and at certain speeds it starts and then stops, and it is coming from the passenger side floor area near the hump. What do you all think?

Old 11-10-2005, 05:38 PM

No, I could never do this kind of work. My son would do it under supervision by me. I had to have all my brake disc and pads replaced, 6 years ago I would have done it myself, but I would be in traction if I did it now. Today I had to change the H1 fog light bulb on my C280 and for the 10 minutes or so it took I had to lay down for an hour.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:46 PM

Actually a pretty good idea with the rubber mallet. I've decided to have the front end alignment checked and have the shop straighten the steering wheel. One of the mechanics where I have my C280 serviced said that is the best way, if the front end alignment is Ok, they will straighten the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rods in and out. The car doesn't pull while driving or braking so and the car had new Bilsteins, tie rods, ball joints springs upper and lower control arms replaced 3 years ago, so I don't think its a suspension problems, perhaps the former owner had the wheel off to fix something.

Here is a question for you all. I need to replace some bulbs behind the cluster, in the shop manual your supposed to remove the steering wheel to do this, has anyone ever pulled the cluster from a 450SLC and did the wheel need removing. Also, the antenna, switch, sunroof switch, have no light, are the bulbs replaceable? or does the switch have to be replaced. Doesn't say much about those switches in the chassic and body shop manuals. the only one they talk about this the switch for the heated seats, which has a removalable bulb? Also, I took out the cigar tray and the lighter is connected to nothing and I don't see any wires at all, I looked at the schematic and still can't figure out where they come from?? Have a nice day all.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:49 AM

ORIGINAL: C280 wizard

when I brake the car, there is a sound from the right front brake, almost sounds like a clip or something has worked loose, any suggestions for this?

When I back off from a sloped driveway....with steering wheel turned....tap on the brakes lightly, and I hear the same thing you hear. Some sort of click-clack. Not getting worse, so I stop worrying.

I always explain to myself this way. This is not a Camry, a Civic, or an Accord, so bear with it. Don't start fixing all the things that make noise or are loose. Now I am at peace with the car.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:42 PM

The more I listen to the noise I am now starting to think it is a loose transmission linkeage, instead of the brake. The shifter is loose and the noise with all the windows closed now sound like the linkage to the automatic tranny. I am taking to a mercedes shop on the 21st and have it checked. Back in 91 the service records the previous own had, the bushings in the shift linkage were all changed. ????