General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Default spark plug

I changed the plugs on my car on Saturday and one of them broke the nut part broke away from the threaded part leaving the threaded prt of the plug in the block dont know how long these plugs had been in the car probably several years anyway is there a tool i can get to remove this part of the plug

Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Default RE: spark plug

This can be a pretty big deal so you might want to let a pro deal with it. You can run with one cylinder missing but I would not do it for long as you will be putting unburned gas into your oil when it washes past the piston ring.

Call around, make sure you tell them it is an alumunium head, and see what you come up with.

This is not a job for the beginner.

What will happen is that they will soak the broken part with Liquid Wrench or Sea Foam to break up the chemical bond the corroison has caused that is making it stick. They will then drill into the broken plug to make a hole and then insert a tool such as an Easy Out.

This drilling part is precision stuff and it is easy to wreck a head doing this. Easy Outs are sometimes a pain to deal with as well as they, too, can break off.

Sam

Old 06-24-2008, 04:51 AM

I got home from work last night and called around the shop the mechanic loaned me a tool to extract the part that was stuck . I gave the plug a good soaking with WD40 and a few minutes later out it popped.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Fantastic!

Anytime you or anyone else reading this thread changes the plugs they should always coat the threads with a product known as Anti-sizise. I know Permatez makes such a product and likely others do as well.

When I used to work on these cars I would sometimes have customers ask me if that was really necessary when they would likely never need the plugs changed again, I would just ask them, "How can you be sure?"

Sam