General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

SLK 230 engine not cranking

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Default SLK 230 engine not cranking

First off. Thanks for having me as a member of the forum. I've read so many times and appreciate the network that has been established.

Vehicle:2003 SLK 230 Kompressor with 11k miles on it, I been owning this car for the past 3 years.

Today I go to start and although all dashlights (and radio) came on, no ignition. No cranking/kicking. I try a few other times, same thing. Went through standard battery checks and recharge, still the same thing. I definitely believe thatthe battery is in good shape. I had that problem couple weeks ago. All the light in the dash board was normal. I wait around a bit then it started when I turn the ignition key.Can't figure out why there is no cranking.

The same happened a few weeks ago I wentto a store and when I tried to crank the carnothing happened, after 30 minutes or so of trying finally the car started up but when I came home it started doing the same thing.

Waited a few hours and start working fine. The same day I started checking with my 12v tester and when I check one cable that connects to the computer I heard a small sound (like a circuit activating) and tried to start the car and it works.

It kept happening and every time when I touch the same cable with the tester it started working, I guess is like if I were making ground or something. I thought it could be something related when the car is inpark but I guess is not that.

Just so you know battery was replaced a few month ago due to the same situation.

All the help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 AM

I HAVE REPLACED ABOUT A DOZEN IGNITION SWITCHES ON THESE FOR THIS REASON AND FAILURE OF THE STEERING LOCK TO DISENGAGE. i CAN'T GUARANTEE IT BUT I'D CHECK IT FIRST. USUALLY RECOMMEND IGNITION SWITCH WITH STEERING LOCK TOGETHER TO PLAY IT SAFE.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Banned

Starter or it could be you transmission shifter module...i need to hook it up on my sds (star diagnosis), and check out actual values!

-mar-