Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

81' 300cd cranking will not start, Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Default 81' 300cd cranking will not start, Help!!!

just finished replacing fuel hoses, primary filter and the hand primer pump with bosch upgrade... thanks to all for the help... and thanks for allowing me to figure some things out on my own... I get it! Now, she will not start, cranking and cranking and cranking - pumping and pumping and pumping the hand primer - still no start! if you remember I replaced all belts and she started, but soon after she started idling rough and stut down... i've had problems every since... I briefly got white smoke from the tail pipe, oil pressure gauge was on 3 while cranking... she may have started for a few seconds and stut down. is it glow plugs, injectors, vacuum? have i managed to dislodged something in my carelessness? need some help soonest.

thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Default 81' 300cd still will not start

i've checked glow relay and plugs all check good... confirmed... fuel is reaching injectors.... i pumped the fuel primer pump until fuel was sighted in all mentioned areas. still she'll crank and crank and crank, and there's smoke from the tail pipe. But she will not run. What's next? at this point i'm checking all recommendations, verifying all guidance... standing by...

it's just a matter of time and effort. thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM

make sure all the vacuum lines are pluged in. specially the one hooked up to the shut off switch

Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Default Up and running!!!

Turns out... fuel was not getting through system. must have been in air in the lines... after all else checked good... i decided to pump the hand primer 40 times and she turned over!!! Yeah!!! also, i killed battery with all the cranking... picked up an interstate and wow!

two more repairs better the road... backup lights not working bulbs replaced... tie rod bushing and we're ready for distance running.

the lights... any tech exprience to share? I appears the tie rods bushing are cut and dry??? thanks to all forums members especially those helping out directly...

Seadog...

Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Default Geoff

Remember when replacing tail light bulbs, its important to replace then with the exact bulb. The operation of the cruise control depends on the exact bulbs in the break light for its ground.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by geoffscott
Remember when replacing tail light bulbs, its important to replace then with the exact bulb. The operation of the cruise control depends on the exact bulbs in the break light for its ground.

http://gdl-online.com/bulb.html

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-18-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: correct link
Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 PM

geoffscott, thanks for sparking up some sort of discourse concerning proplem with my backup lights. i've replaced bulds... i don't own a test light (yet), i do have a volt meter... would someone give istruction o how to test without grouding blk to neg battery post? my trans gear shift position is out of adjustment in that it's hit or miss to catch park (shifting in ad out park trying to start car) and i have to shift downward beyond the desired gear (almost lining up with the gear below) to catch the gear. does this have anything to do with the backup inoperative backup lights. just a couple more things and i'm on the road... thanks all

Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Put the black lead to any good ground--metal part connected solidly to the frame. Check out your linkage problem, that could very well be your problem

Old 04-06-2011, 03:05 PM

^ Agreed.

seadog, you may have worn bushings on the shifter itself, one (item #11) can be seen under the car, simply jack it up enough to get clearance.

The safety start switch has a detent, make sure it's seating properly.

Attached Thumbnails 81' 300cd cranking will not start,  Help!!!-screen-shot-2011-04-06-4.00.41-pm.jpg   81' 300cd cranking will not start,  Help!!!-screen-shot-2011-04-06-3.58.16-pm.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Default Did you get this problem sloved ?

Originally Posted by seadog
just finished replacing fuel hoses, primary filter and the hand primer pump with bosch upgrade... thanks to all for the help... and thanks for allowing me to figure some things out on my own... I get it! Now, she will not start, cranking and cranking and cranking - pumping and pumping and pumping the hand primer - still no start! if you remember I replaced all belts and she started, but soon after she started idling rough and stut down... i've had problems every since... I briefly got white smoke from the tail pipe, oil pressure gauge was on 3 while cranking... she may have started for a few seconds and stut down. is it glow plugs, injectors, vacuum? have i managed to dislodged something in my carelessness? need some help soonest.

thanks.

Did you get this problem solved yet ? If not let me know back.

Quick Reply: 81' 300cd cranking will not start, Help!!!