General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Should I buy this 190E? How much $ to make it roadworthy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Default Should I buy this 190E? How much $ to make it roadworthy?

Hello,

Apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect forum; I am new here. I am considering a purchase of a 190E. The price is very reasonable (think KBB "Fair to Poor" condition) owing to some interior and exterior cosmetic damage, plus the car needing what appears to be a new set of shocks.

I don't have TONS of money to spend though, so I'm hoping if I list everything I noticed whether you all can tell me how much $ I'm looking at investing to bring this beauty to roadworthiness (or whether I should walk away). I may not have the option to take this car to a mechanic, time-wise, before I have to decide to buy or not.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you can provide!!! I understand it's tough without seeing the actual car in person.

Essential info/history:
The car: It's a 1990 190E 2.6 with approximately 178,000 miles on it. It has recently passed a smog test although the CarFax history reports indicate it typically fails and then passes on the same day, with a 1- or 2-mi increase on the odometer. It was in a freeway accident in 2006, looks like it was sideswiped on the passenger side, there is some damage to the front and rear right doors but they both open and close fine (and the windows work fine as well).

Me:
FYI: I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so we're talking temperate weather, expensive gas and maintenance, hilly back roads and fast freeways. My daily weekday driving will be approximately 40 miles round-trip, 15 miles of which are up and down a wid-ish mountain road (Route 92 if you're in the area). I hope to own the car for several years, don't mind putting some money into it as long as it's not a money sinkhole. I want the car to feel SAFE when I drive it, and I am not a timid or tentative driver. I don't much care how it looks or whether comfort/convenience features are fully intact.

The Sellers:
A local family. They are moving across the country and don't want to take the car along. They have to be out in a few days so the car is priced to move. It was driven by one male owner for almost 10 years, he appears to be out of the picture now and the son has been driving the car only around town for errands and to and from school. The mother has been very transparent as far as the car's flaws and is actually worried about me buying it do the car's handling and the fact that I would plan to drive it more than around town.

I viewed and test-drove the car today. Here's everything that seems wrong with it:
* Biggest, most worrisome problem: The shocks need replacing. Driving on a road bending to the right a little too fast, I caused the left front tire to scrape against the wheel well (I think this was what happened?), and then later driving down a hill onto a flat road, I hit a little dip and scraped something as well. The young man I test-drove with says when the car goes down a steeper hill I should watch out as well, and similarly if I were to actually seat 4 people in the car (it will be just me driving 90% of the time though). I am still worried about driving this car because it feels like "driving a boat". I wonder how it would handle at high-speed, in an emergency. I will put money into fixing it but I want to know that the fix is likely to solve the problem I describe.

*2: Car doesn't necessarily always start right away. Have to pump the gas, be patient, let it idle for a moment. I'm told this is a matter of replacing the fuel filter. Is this a problem this car is likely to have over and over again?

3. The speedometer wasn't working when I drove. The other gauges appeared responsive. My test-drive co-pilot said that the speedometer does work sometimes. I'm told this is likely a loose cable.

*Miscellaneous other issues:
1. Heater and A/C don't appear to work (appears to be an issue of the blower).
2. Sunroof doesn't work.
3. Wiper seems okay but doesn't squirt any fluid. My co-pilot thought it lacked the "spray" feature; I forgot to check if it was just out of fluid.
4. Driver's seat forward/back adjuster doesn't move the seat as far forward as I would like but I can reach the pedals by also tilting the seat down.
5. Left rear brake light appears to be out (either a bulb or wiring issue).
6. Radio seems broken as well although the 6-cassette changer feature is intriguing.

Things that do work:
*Engine seems to be a champ. Acceleration was good. No funny noises. The car growls and purrs when it starts up.
*Under the hood things look good and clean.
*Brakes seem pretty good.
*No rust underneath; tire wear pattern looks even and good.
Thanks again for any thoughts!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Should I buy this 190E? How much $ to make it roadworthy?

ORIGINAL: aspath

It has recently passed a smog test although the CarFax history reports indicate it typically fails and then passes on the same day, with a 1- or 2-mi increase on the odometer.
must have been temoprarily adjusted to lean mixture just to pass the test.

Driving on a road bending to the right a little too fast, I caused the left front tire to scrape against the wheel well (I think this was what happened?), and then later driving down a hill onto a flat road, I hit a little dip and scraped something as well.
possibly the spring also

*2: Car doesn't necessarily always start right away. Have to pump the gas, be patient, let it idle for a moment. I'm told this is a matter of replacing the fuel filter.
i don't buy that story. it means that the fuel filter is sometimes okay and sometimes not?

Heater and A/C don't appear to work (appears to be an issue of the blower).
i don't think so

Sunroof doesn't work.
that maybe is the cable

Wiper seems okay but doesn't squirt any fluid. My co-pilot thought it lacked the "spray" feature; I forgot to check if it was just out of fluid.
it of course have windshield washer. check the fluid. maybe motor is seized or reservoir broken.

Driver's seat forward/back adjuster doesn't move the seat as far forward as I would like but I can reach the pedals by also tilting the seat down.
either you are short or it is blocked.

Radio seems broken as well although the 6-cassette changer feature is intriguing.
yeah. i haven't seen anything that have 6 cassettes inside too. i only see cd's.

how much?