General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Rotors for 2001 C320

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Default Rotors for 2001 C320

I had to have my front rotors replaced but not the brakes. The car has 84,000 miles and they have never been replaced before. When we bought the car a month ago it had a litttle shimmy when applying the brake and my private mechanic diagnosed the problem. I'm wondering what people have had to pay to get their rotors replaced on their Mercedes? My mechanic charged me 230.00 parts and labor. The rotors were 85.00 each. Just wondering if I got a good deal by not using the dealership.

Also, I'd like to know what components I should look into replacing soon. The spark plugs are a given. My mechanic said that everything looks pefect and isn't worn badly at all. Some parts have already been replaced by the previous owner. I was thinking of putting in a new air filter by K&N and a new fuel filter. I was also wondering about the sensors. What sensors should I think about replacing so that I don't get stuck out somewhere? MAF sensors seem to have a bad reputation on these cars but I'm not sure if one of those would leave me stranded. I had to replace my cam position sensor because it went out on me. First time it went out in 84K miles so I'm not complaining. What about aftermarket parts? I'm someone who isn't opposed to buying knock off's if the quality is just as good. Anyone have problems with aftermarket parts?

Can anyone tell me if there is a child safety lock on this car? My manual says something about it but it's vague. I can't find one in the door panel at all. The locks automatically lock if I'm going a certain speed but with a two year old I'd feel much safer if I had a child safety lock. He was able to unlock the door by pulling up on the **** and while pumping gas he opened the back door.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Default Price

Nancyrenee1983,
dealer list is $ 97.00 each for rotors, and about 1.5 hour labor. so yes price was right if he used german parts. would never use anything but . K&N no on this only because oil is used on this type of filter and it can make air mass meter prematurely fail. plugs are done at 100,000 miles, fuel filter shold have been done at 60,000 miles

Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 PM

the crank sensor is a common part to go bad....you said cam sensor. also the valve cover gaskets can leak. transmission electrical connectors leak oil. EGR valve/ EGR tubes get blocked up with carbon.

you can get original MB parts without going to the dealer you just have to find the right place. try to avoid aftermarket stuff...just not usually as good. alot of things on a benz you cant get aftermarket...just very hard to find.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by chassis221
the crank sensor is a common part to go bad....you said cam sensor. also the valve cover gaskets can leak. transmission electrical connectors leak oil. EGR valve/ EGR tubes get blocked up with carbon.

you can get original MB parts without going to the dealer you just have to find the right place. try to avoid aftermarket stuff...just not usually as good. alot of things on a benz you cant get aftermarket...just very hard to find.
You are right. It was the crank sensor. So far nothing is leaking oil but I'll keep an eye on those componenets. I've been reading and hearing that MB parts are not made well any longer and that some aftermarket parts are better but I guess that's based on opinions. I know that my husband had his Mach1 Stang specially ordered and as soon as he got it home he ordered some special racing rotors and brakes for the car. They weren't Ford parts but they have lasted now for 60K miles. We've never had to replace the brakes or do anything to the rotors. I do know the rotors were almost 200.00 each. I'm pretty sure they put Benz rotors on my car which I've heard don't last long because they are soft?

dealer list is $ 97.00 each for rotors, and about 1.5 hour labor. so yes price was right if he used german parts. would never use anything but . K&N no on this only because oil is used on this type of filter and it can make air mass meter prematurely fail. plugs are done at 100,000 miles, fuel filter shold have been done at 60,000 miles
Do you know of any good air filters to use other than MB? K&N is something we have used in all of our other cars we've owned. I have a couple friends who own BMW's and one of them races his. They both use K&N filters. We have on in the Mach1. I'm assuming Mercedes is a little different?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM

you can get great aftermarket parts...if you pay the price for something good yes. there is **** out there too. K&N you can use if you want to but peoples opinions vary on them. i see alot of benzes with them and they have no problem...as far as Ive seen. im sure there are others out there.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Default Breaks

I am doing a complete break job on m y94 SL500 including rotors, pads, rear calbibers and sensors. I paid $280.00 for all parts. The rotors alone were $27.00. Sorry but you got ripped off...

Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 AM

rgrayoh,
i can get OEM rear Rotors for 28.00 each but i would not sell them at my shop for that . its sounds like you dont want a repair shop to make money . why???

we employ good mechanics at a good price to work on 50k to 130 k Mercedes Benz we go to school every year to keep up so we can service everyones Mercedes . in this field everyone thinks we are low lifes & allways charge to much, then everyone should work on their on Mercedes and never ask for help. go buy a 30k SDS computer and special equipment