General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

radio reception issue, in shop now, need sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Default radio reception issue, in shop now, need sugestions

When I first picked up my car I was getting very good radio reception but it began to slowly diminish. I drive 30 miles to work and like to listen to the radio the entire way. All of my other vehicles get great reception with no interference the entire trip. I took it in for the issue already and they say it tested fine and gave it back with no repair. What is strange is the reception was good for the first few days it was back but again began to decline. I do not have navi just the single CD radio. What do you think is the deal? I just got off the phone with the dealer and again nothing is being done. Any opinions on how I should handle this, if lower quality vehicles can get good signal should my car not?

Old 12-10-2005, 04:15 AM
Default RE: radio reception issue, in shop now, need sugestions

Sounds like an antennae problem.
You don't state model / age etc of your vehicle. Does it have a rod or screen aerial?
Rod aerials are prone to poor earthing where the aerial attaches to the body and at the point the aerial lead plugs into the back of the head unit in the dash.
Screen aerials relie on an amplifier and the connection between the screen and the amp is prone to poor connection / water ingress / corrosion. what happens when you turn the heated rear window on. Does reception improve / worsen / no change?
What did the garage do when they had the vehicle? Tighten / Remove / Refit head unit / aerial?
More info required to provide a better reply.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 AM

I also have the same problem pretty much with my radio. The dealer said I MAY need a antenna combar, whatever that is. I have a 2000 S500. Thanks
Johan

Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Hi John,
I assume your radio reception got bad when you turned the heated screen on. The aerial combar is situated above the headlining immediaely adjacent to the rear screen. It connects to the aerial S..yes plural..primted on the rear screen. AM, FM, Cell Phone, TV etc.
Let us know whether they fit a new unit, what it costs and what the symptoms are / were.
My vehicle is an S Class 320 2000 m/y. Electronic modules do not like moisture!! Stuart.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:57 AM

I don't know if you have added tint to your windows, but if so, this could affect reception they say.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 AM

Hey Stuart thanks for the info. So is the antenna combar the black antenna thing on the outside or is it something else inside under the headliner? Thanks Johan

Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 AM

Hi Johan,

It is something else inside under the headliner and attached to the top edge of the screen. Problem is it's difficult (time consuming) to gain access because you need to remove the headlining.