General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Questions on your benzes, i can try to help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Default M104.98 into W123

Hi, MasterBenz.
I have purchased a M104.98 3 litre engine to put into my beloved 1978 280E W123. I am skilled in engine replacements and realize research can make the transition a lot simpler. Do you know if the engine and gearbox mounting of the 3 litre 1991 model engine will match the points of my W123? If not is there a mount that will?
Thanks
Ben

Old 06-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Default 1990 300e ecu

could you tell me where to locate the ecu on my 1990 300e

Last edited by buddaman; 06-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM

I have a 09 e350.can a remote start system be put on this car.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 AM

hi everybody is anyone knows where is the mute butten for audio sistem on mercedes ml 500

Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Question 1992 300 SL Electrical malfunction

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 92 300SL that's been sitting for a couple of years. I had to jump start it and once that was done she ran fine, I drove it about a mile with no problems and then it just died - it then started right back up not sure why. The biggest thing that I have noticed is the entire instrument cluster is dead, the lights will flash when starting the car but with the exception of the temp gauge and odometer everything else is dead including speedometer. None of the windows work, A/C, heat fan, radio don't work and turn signal just stays on with out blinking and does not reset once the turn is made. Headlights are good, interior lights work, dash lighting works. Stereo will come on but resets to 87.7 once car is shut off. Could not see a bad fuse when looking - so not exactly sure where to start. I know the guy I'm buying it from really well and he said it all worked well before he parked it a couple years ago. Any ideas where the problem might be?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM

It sounds like bad or dead battery. You are running just off of the alternator power only. Charge the battery fully with battery charger or replace it, measure the voltage before starting the engine and when running to see, if your alternator diodes didn't go bad by jump starting the car. There is two electric circuits, one with constant 12V power from battery and one when started. Looks to me that you are missing the constant power circuit and that is why you even loose your pre-programed radio stations with turning off the engine. Also check all negative (ground) connections to the chassis. Good luck.
Bernard

Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Default '87 420 sel headlight

Hi, my right side low beam went out but the high beam still works. Confused as it one bulb for both and was told if low goes out the high beam would as well.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Hi Mercedes Gurus:

I have recently bought my first used Mercedes(C220 Cdi, W203) and I still have to deal with few problems and like to know about these problems myself first and hence saving money

1) Brake Lining wear, visit workshop (I have changed the rear pads and front pads are already good. I was hoping that it will disappear but it had not)

2) My hand brake does not come back to its position after pulling the lever and car thinks, I am driving with the hand brake on. I was hpoing that by changing the rear pads, this problem would have resolved, but it has not. I have currently pulled the hand brake up with force, so that each time I drive, I don't hear the bleep and a message with red light in the dashboard.

3) My driver side electric seat has stopped working. I have checked the fuses on the right to stearing wheel and also in the bonnet and all seem to be working. I have to drive in an ackward position as I can't move the seat back in a comfortable position.

4) My car makes annoying noise like a timing belt in the engine when it starts, but I have been told, it can be a water pump belt.

5) I have also done the service in the car and like to remove the service message in the dashboard.

I did read few messages but none of these seemed my car specific, I will really appreciate any tips from any mercedes expert mechanic or owner.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Default 87 300e

I have a shimmying problem. The car shimmys between the speeds of 45 and 60! I've changed the flex joint, center tie rod assembly and ball joints and still have this problem. What do you think my problem could be?
Thank you,
Mimi

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Default 2 tech ques! headlights and dipstick??

I just bought a 2005 C-clas, I have 2 questions?
1. there is no dipstick. should I go buy one, or can I trust the electronic display? (last week the display came ON saying low-oil, it went OFF after 30 seconds. . . . now I dont know what to do next (and I'm not going to a dealer to ask to check the lousy oil level) or do I need to?
2. how do I adjust the headlights? one points UP and OUT? I dont see the normal 3-spring-loaded screws. . . .

thanks, jim (ps - I'm an OLD and current 55-chev owner and mechanic, so GIVE ME THE DIRT) thanks.

Quick Reply: Questions on your benzes, i can try to help!!!