General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Please Help!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Default Please Help!! :(

I have an idiot for a boyfriend, and he thought while I was distracted, he'd down shift (TipTronic Option) down to one.

Light turns green, and without realizing I hit the gas, the car was sluggish (duh it was in 1ST) so I pedal the gas harder. Suddenly the CHECK Engine light comes on and the car starts sputtering like it's about to stall out on me.

WTF just happened!?

After that, the car is almost hesitant to shift and redlines before shifting gears automatically.

Did my *** of a boyfriend just **** up my motor/tranny?

Pleas help ASAP.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Please Help!! :(

Based on what you've told me. If your Benz Is still under warranty. Take it in to the dealer for service (I wouldn't tell them about the boyfriend incident), Just say somethings wrong. Or even if it's not under warranty I'd still contact the dealer and have it serviced. With engines and tranny'sall high tech these days, You need to let a dealer check it out and not a friend or family member.

This is the customer help # 1-800-367-6372. However, I would call your nearest dealer first thing Monday morning.

As far as your boyfriend goes. He should have told you all this and offered to pay for any damage.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Alot of these cars have a rev-limiting/RPM -limiting program that cuts off the fuel pump if the car is over revved. try turning off the ignition for a few seconds and restarting.

Blue

Old 07-07-2008, 01:02 AM

Yep,
as BlueSilver has responded most engines have a rev limiter (+ gearbox selection safeguards) so no permanent damage will have been incurred.

However since the CEL has come on it appears that the engine misfired before hitting the rev limiter. When a misfiore is detected, dependent upon the severity, the CEL will be set (and possibly limp home initiated) in order to restrict environmental damage,.

This misfire is likely due to the engine fuelling being a little too weak for such a wide open throttle period either due to your own conservative driving style (engine learns your driving style) or because the MAF is getting towards end of life (or needs a clean)

Best course of action is to get the OBD codes read, reset, and observe if the codes return. My guess is that you will find misfire code(s) but at present this is only a guess.

Suspect that after reset all will return to normal until a similar extreme condition is experienced but be warned that the MAF is likely entering EOL.

Age, mileage etc?

Stuart

Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM

So far, thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated....I just dropped it off at the dealer and they said that "IF" whatever is wrong with it is covered under warranty, then I'll be notified in about an hour. [sm=outcold.gif]

So with my fingers crossed, I wait.

The car is an 03with 59K miles on it.

I've kept up with all maint. The service A msg actually is just NOW due. Don't know if that's relevant to the whole situation.

I just hope I don't get screwed by the warranty company.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM

OK so...update:

So the car was under warranty, they aprroved the repairs...

Guess what it was??

They said the Torque Converterwent bad on it. They found metal shavings in the fluid and looks like my gears all went to hell.

I didn't want to mention what had happened thanks to my boyfriends idiocy.

So it's going to be a 3k dollar job, all I pay is 50 bucks deductible...and I have a rental-for a week, which is approx. how long it's going to take.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Damage SHOULD NOT HAVE resulted frpm the action taken by your boy friend.

I suspect that something must have been going wrong and possibly his action tipped things over the edge. if indeed there is any linkage.

Anyway you will end up with a new? tranny.

Stuart.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM

So NOW they put in the new tranny....and now it's Misfiring from cylinder one ...so the computer says....they check cylinder one...guess what...........it's working fine.

SO they clear the cpu...then start driving it...it's starts misfiring all over again.

WTF.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM

Well if there is nothing wrong with #1 as far as Ignition & fuel supply goes maybe it's time for a sensor gear adaption, however that should have been done at time of the initial repair.
Dan the German Man

Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 AM

As I have already stated no adverse consequence should have resulted from putting the gearbox in 1 using Tip and then hitting the floor. The car should have accelerated in line with your accel pedal position (it shouldn't have been sluggish) but once you hit the rev limiter the car would stop accelerating and a constant speed would be held. NO DAMAGE would result although IF the car is not normally driven in this fashion (i.e. spiritedly) iit is possible that you may incur a misfire DTC / CEL. This will be removed by a reset so long as you return to "normal" driving BUT is indicative that the MAF / other components are nearing the end of their life.
Therefore if your gearbox really did have metal fragments in the oil it appears that your car is not in a good state of health.

Lets start at the beginning.
What model, year, service history, how long have you had the car, other problems etc.

If you have had the CEL "ON" the ECU will not only provide the fault codes DTC's from memory it will also actually store (dependent upon age) the parameters present when the CEL was set.

Provide this data plus reset the ECU and determine if any codes return after reset and we will try to help you more.

Your posts to date don't appear to add up. Maybe your garage is not familiar with digital engine controls but this technology is common to all cars since 1990ish.?

Stuart