General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

mercedes problem starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Default mercedes problem starting engine

hello all.
i am new here so i hope i posted in the correct forum.

I have had this problem now for over 2 months and it's really killing me at this stage. I have a mercedes E200 1997 automatic and since the last while when i put the keyfob in the ignition it will not turn to start the engine. after about 15 minutes sometimes 8 minutes i can get the ignition to start. but if i drive it for a while and stop at the shop even for 5 minutes i cannot start the engine again for ages i keep turning the keyfob constantly for about 8 to 15 minutes and eventually i can start the engine. this is soul destroying at this stage as i'm broke and was just let go from my job so i'm in limbo now and cannot afford to get it fixed as the cost is too much. if anyone can even give me a solution to this problem or any help at all i would be greatful. i have a bit of knowledge in electronics as of radio's and tv's so i will try to fix it myself if i get some help. again thanks for any support you may have.

well i tried fixing this problem myself and i managed to get the circuitboard out of the keyfob. i cleaned the lazer diode and it has worked perfect now after testing it every 2 hours the engine starts fine now. so if anyone has the same problem as i did just take the circuitboard out from the keyfob and give the little black lazer a good clean with a cotton bud with a tiny bit of isopropal or whiskey. worked for me so it should work for you.

Last edited by zenno; 02-04-2010 at 01:00 PM.