Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Help! Electric issue, problem starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Default Help! Electric issue, problem starting the engine

Hello. I know I probably have to go to the Stealers for this one, yet I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this:
From time to time, the car will not start. The starter keeps turning for a few seconds, but the engine won't start. If it get out of the car, lock it with my remote, then unlock it, it will then start sometimes. If that doesn't work, disconnecting the battery helps everytime, it's like re-setting the computer. "Check Engine" light will then sometimes come on for a while, then go away on its own. The problem occurs every few days or so. The car is a W163 ML350. Anyone had this happen?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Clean or replace your CPS (crankshaft position sensor) behinde left cylinder head sensing flywheel. Very common solution for stalling issues and starting problem. I believe you have no problem with your alarm at all. You can do this by yourself for about $70. You need part No. A0031532728 Bosch No.0261210171. Bad CPS will make check engine light to come ON and cose engine to missfire. I would first just take it out and clean off all metal chips (from starter and flywheel) stuck to it because it is magnetic. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Cool, thanks. Is this something I can do with practically no tools? I'll try that ASAP. I do have some sort of computer error issues as my windows will not now roll up automatically as I hit the window regulator switch, I now have to press and hold the switch for the windows to come up. They DO go down automatically now, just not always the other way around. Also, the remote will not always lock the car up, sometimes I have to play with the lock switch inside the car for the remote to start working again. All this could be from me disconnecting the battery quite a few times though.
Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM

Yes, you're correct. That is because of battery disconnection. Check your owner's manual how to reset windows, radio and maybe resynchronize your remote key. I think you will need E10, 1/4" drive socket plus 10" or 12" extension to take off you crank sensor. Easy task. Mine was acting up till last month. I believe the sensor is still good, it was just dirty and metal shavings stuck to it was the problem but I already had new one so I replaced it. There are no mechanical parts (electromagnetic coil changing resistance) it should last forever.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 AM

Thanks a lot. Found these links on the net.
Hope my '05 ML 350 (W163) has the same sensor location as the older 320s do. Do they? What should I use for cleaning the sensor, rubbing alcohol? No one else writes of cleaning it, everybody is replacing the damn thing. By looking at it, where would it need cleaning, where it plugs into something? On the outside it's just a piece of plastic...

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 11-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM

You will see right away when you pull it out. Blast of dry compressed air or just wiping it off with rag or paper towel will work fine. Metal button at the bottom of it. Remove/reinstall will take you 10 minutes. Put piece of scotch tape over the socket enge or magnetize it a little to keep the screw stick to it. You don't have to disconnect the wiring untill is out. Unplug it, plug new one in (if you are replacing it) insert it back into the hole, turn it to lineup mounting hole of sensor with threaded hole in the block and clamp it down with the screw.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 AM

OK, I haven't yet done any of this yet, but I did take the truck to a mechanic to do computer diagnostics. The computer shows no errors and no malfunctions, the truck is in perfect operational condition, except I know it really isn't. I guess when I started it last after disconnecting the battery, all errors got deleted from computers operating memory. The malfunction needs to occur again in order for the mechanic to be able to diagnose it? That's what we figured. I still keep the sensor thing in mind, just want ot make sure that it really is it. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM

My ML was not showing anything either only couple of times, when I floored it taking off it will show misfire on No.1 cylinder, leter No.1 and No.4, multiple cylinders. Starting problem was only ones in a long while. I replaced plugs and installed new coil with wires to No.1 cylinder and at fast acceleration, it would misfire again with check engine light and code P0301 or P0300. Then I checked the ML Star service manual for model 163 and found out that if it's not a spark plug, change your CPS Crankshaft Position Sensor.
I did and check engine light went off in about 10 miles of driving and never seen it to come on since. I cleaned the old sensor and I may try to install it back just to proof that it is still good. Manual explained nicelly that it has to misfire so many times per 2000 revolutions in order to give out any mulfunction code and when I drived normally, check engine and misfire code would never come. Good luck, Bernard

Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

OK, since I don't want to get stuck on the street with this thing, I'll try to rev it up in Neutral at the shop. It should then also throw a code or stall... I'll try it on Monday. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 PM

No problem, I'm glad that my experience can be in help to someone. Today, I was actually thinking of reinstalling my old sensor back on to see, if it's OK but I didn't get to it.

Quick Reply: Help! Electric issue, problem starting the engine