Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

My engine wont start - some starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Default My engine wont start - some starting problem

My car wont start and not sure how to diaganose the problem. I think it is a starter issue, but not sure.

Problem:
I recently had my alternater replaced and everything was working fine. Then I went to start my car. I charged my glow plugs and I assume I attempted to start the engine too early. The engine shut off. I attempted again; the engine started and then stalled. On the third try it made no noise. Now when I try to start it just makes a click sound. I thought it was the battery but jump starting did nothing. Just made a click. The engine doesn't fire anymore.

I was wondering if it is my starter. Anybody have any knowledge on diesel starter issues? Thanks

I have a full tank of gas, it's not cold right now.

1961 Merc Benz 190D (maybe 190Db)

Thanks!

~ patrick

Old 06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Default RE: My engine wont start - some starting problem

hey patrick, sounds like an electrical issue to me. first check the battery connections. clean and tighten. then throughly charge the battery with a charger to insure the battery is not flat. diesels require lots of current to start as they are high compression engines. other tricks are to strike the starter with a hammer( lightly of course). so have a helper light the glow plugs and when the light goes out try to start it. if it doesnt turn strike it and try again. it is best to tap the starter while it is energized. if that works you need a starter. assuming you get the car running the voltage at the battery terminals needs to be at least 13-14 volts. if its not, the alternator or charging circuts will have to be checked.
as a side bar, you will need to wait 15 minutes or so while the battery is charged by the car giving the jump start. this is a common error people make all the time. when jump starting a vehicle, connect the cables and wait... wait ...wait. the reason is the cables will not carry enough current to start the car given the poor connection that the clamps give. but they still carry plenty to charge the battery up. and as mentioned previousley diesels take MUCH more current than gas engines to turn over. hope this helps!

andrew

p.s. all cars will have starter issues. i havent heard of any unusual ones with merc diesels.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Default RE: My engine wont start - some starting problem

thanks. I'll give it a try

~ patrick