General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Manuals for E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Default Manuals for E Class

"Sleepwalker" told me to do my research. So I did and I hope that now someone can fill in the blanks for me (1993 400E) Also I hope that this thread will help others because this is one of the most popular topics that comes up.

I've gleaned a lot of info on manuals from various sources. Seems many of the CD's are the same as I already purchased from Manuals Unlimited and even though someone thought they were wonderful readers should know that for the 1993 400E THEY ARE CRAP!!! Someone complained abount the wiring diagrams not being much help - the ones for the 1993 400E are MISSING - that's even less help. And one of the most anoying things is the references to other section (e.g. "first remove the wiper motor - B.5.23") with no active link (as is possible with later versions of Acrobat). Since there is also NO INDEX this info is worse than useless.

Never thought I would I would be desperately searching for a Haynes manual, but that's how bad it is! Not available from Haynes, US but available in the UK and distributed by storesonline.com in North America.

There is also a generic Chilton manual from the same place. I am kinda off CD's - apart from the MB one's decsribed above, I have a Chilton CD for my Chevy truck. With all the space available on a CD you would think you would be able to get hi-res pictures that you can zoom in on and have a good look? They use the space to cram EVERY model for EVERY year on the same CD - hoping that will make you buy access to more models!! You know if I don't find what I need under 400E I might just want to try 320E - don't think I should have to pay more for that. But worse is that the resolution of the "pics" (diagrams) is so low that they are almost useless. They are no better when you print them out (which you pretty much have to do all the time) and you certainly can't Zoom them. So I am not really warm towards CD's or Chilton right now.

Someone recommended 3 manuals including the "Bible". Still got to go back and track that one down but Storesonline.com also has the "W124 owners Workshop Manual" which was one of the 3, I think. So I think I have found out where to buy but it is just a guess what to buy.

If there are any 400E owners out there who have any input I could sure use it.

P.S. Also check out mercedessource.com - lot of good info to be learned buy new owners.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Default RE: Manuals for E Class

I recently bought a 79 W107 450SLC and the previous owner had all the factory service manuals and thru them in, plus all the repair's since 85, Original paperwork etc. I have gone thru the manual, and to me some parts leave a lot to desire for the DIY, as to me, there is an assumption in these manuals that a Mercedes mechanic is using them. Also, as you mentioned the manual also will refe you back to say section 35-100/1 when your reading about how to take something apart, I am trouble shooting eh cruise control and the referral back to the section on the accelerator linkage or the sesor on page and section such and such, are annoying. The printed wiring diagram are OK, but you on the 79 wiring diagram it doesn't give you the locations of the grounds, but on the 1980 it does, nor does the 78 have the ground locations. So, do I assume the grounds are in the same locations, with thes same colored wires, in my 79 as 80? Also, there is the proverbial translation problems from German to English.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:01 PM

Hey Wiz,

Seems like you've done this before too. The CD's are available free on http://skinnerbox.steaky.org/ only with one BIG improvement... Instead of that (stupid) flashy index page with the flying car, they have a proper index (table of contents really) so at least you can return to the index and find the section that is being referenced.

There seems to be very little available on the 400E so I am looking for 300E and hoping that most of the problems I anticipate will be covered. With 125,000 miles, I am REALLY hoping that I won't have problems with the drive train. (back to mercedessource.com and check their "alerts"). Also I intend to re-visit the CD's, try to print out the index and see how usefull the 300E section is.

Here's the manuals I have narrowed it down to..

85-94 E-Class W124 incl Gas M103, M104 & Diesel, 260, 300, 320, Sedan & Wagon, Haynes Workshop Manual for Mercedes: 380 pages for 300E E320 300TE 300CE 260E 330D and more (also cover 200, 230, & 250 versions of W124) (89_3253
$32.95

85-95 Mercedes E-Class W124 Workshop service repair Manual 296 pages 300E 260E 300TE E320 300CE... (gas only) (also covers 200, 220 & 230 versions of W124) by Technibooks for Merecedes (90_B_MB85WH)
$34.95

86-95 E-Class Owners Bible for Mercedes 124 series 300E, 260E, 300CE, 400E and similar models: 320 pages including maintenance, repair, performance tuning, buyer's guide, accessory installation, model history & development. (90_GMOB)

$39.95

NOTE: that there seem to be more than one version of Haynes on the market. The one from storesonline.com is 85-93, book4cars.com has 85-94! Since my car is a 93 I expect this to make quite a difference.

The only one that even mentions the 400E is the "Bible" which has not got rave reviews from forum members!!!

I guess I will order "Car repair for Dummies" (Haynes) because at least I kinda know what to expect and a few members have recommended it.

Not sure if I should get the "Bible" - anyone know if it's useful for the 400E?

Any comments at all anyone? Now's the time!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 PM

Here's a post I stole off Cracker928 on Benzworld....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are I few referneces that I recommend for all 124 owners that can save many headaches:

My most recent purchase which has filled in many blanks is the "E-class owner's bible". I believe I have seen it at performance products as well as www.performancemotorcars.com , and the local coffee/bookstore. Others that you may wish to buy are an $11 e-bay cd manual, the factory engine manual (my diesel manual was $50 from the dealer), and technibooks "Mercedes W124 owner's workshop manual" (a british publication that includes various wiring diagrams and helpful body and engine service procedures and specs. They also like to say "prise" alot instead of "pry". Crazy brits).

Just my .02

1987 MBZ 300D 210,000 mi
1993 MBZ 300D 120,000 mi
1987 Porsche 928 100,000 mi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how close his 300D is to my 93 400E? But I definately need wiring diagrams...