General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

service manuals

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Default service manuals

Hi, Anyone have an opinion on these cd service manuals being sold on ebay? They claim they are much better than chiltons, compare to factory service manuals at a fraction of the cost, like $25. Anyone have any experience with them? Appreciate any input.

fish

Old 05-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Default RE: service manuals

Hi,

My experience has not been that good. I have a '99 E430 sport model, and the info in the CD is sorely lacking. There are very few usefull subjects maybe with the exception of telling you how to reset the display panel. I also have found that there is no printed factory manual available for the car. I guess MB just doesn't want you working on your own car. The CD I have covers many years and model types and brand names, its not specific to mercedes. I found that the older the car the more info was in the manual. For instance you could pick a '03 s500, but there would only be ONE category "general info" which was short and a joke. In short, if you're looking for step by step on a particular procedure forget it.

[:'(]

Old 08-23-2004, 10:06 PM

Go to AllData.com, worth the 25$ and gives you everything.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:22 AM

In Seattle, head down to the local public library and with library card in hand, you can access AllData for free

Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

unlike bmw, mercedes-benz doesn't want you to repair your own car or purchase spare parts.

even the dealer's workshop cannot buy the STAR DIAGNOSIS computer! they can only rent it, but non authorized workshop can easily buy them for $25k.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:21 PM

I agree with Sleepwalker. I recently was told by my local MB delership that the removal of the center console for the replacement of a fader switch required special tools and to book an appointment. Thanks to Sleepwalker and Foghorn, I found the special tool requirement to be none other than a Phillips screwdriver!

With regard to a service manual, I bought a Benz bible from Bentley like many Newbies. Like many Newbies, I was profoundly disappointed by the lack of removal and installation procedures. Now, I also look for a reliable source and the AllData links looks promising. I have also ordered a 2-CD service manual advertised in the forum's classified section. For $15 (including shipping), I figure I can take a chance.

Cheers, JDub

Old 09-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

you cannot get anything much from other manuals except the WIS (workshop information system).

one way is to purchase a USB hard disk backup with 20G capacity, and copy my computer. i am willing to distribute it to all who are interested.

USB hard disk costs about $150 to $300, depending on brand.

Old 09-04-2004, 01:53 PM
jem

Hello again..just cruising around.

Wondering if Sleepwalker has an ftp: or a www: site where one could download bits & pieces of help?

'jem'

Old 09-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

i used to go on ftp, but because of virus i stop going online with my technical computer. it always takes me two days to format and re-install everything.

if you have your own www, maybe you can lend me some space so i can create webpages, storage and download areas.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:13 PM

thanks JDub, i'm here seems like no way of getting it

Quick Reply: service manuals