General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ignition tumbler

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Default ignition tumbler

hi everyone - hope someone can help me with this problem - NEVER had a problem with the key/ignition of my car. went out the other day and had to "jiggle" the key to get the car started. Went out yesterday and all the jiggling in the world won't help. I read on here all about the special tool used to "pop" the ignition - however - the key is stuck in the 0 position, so none of that helps. What is my next step? Do I drill the ignition out and replace it? If so, how do I do that ? any and all help or suggestions would be appreciated. I also read that jiggling is better than drilling - i understand that - but have been working on it for two days now - and have given up - thanks for any help you can give me. My car is a 1989 190 E - with the ignition on the dashboard.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Default RE: ignition tumbler

If you don't have a factory repair manual or a good CD of the manual, and you seem to have no experience with these systems, go to the dealer and have them replace it, as they can also key it to the present key system you haved. It sounds like one of two things, the ignition could just be loose or a tumber is is loss and there is no way to fix them as they are sealed. I have worked on cars for 40 years as a DIY person and nevr fooled with ignitions in newer cars, as thre are too many systems attached in one way or another, (that in a song? Which goes on to say, I goin'to catch, chatch you etec) So do yourself and your beautiful driving machined a favor and see the pros. Yes there is a special tool, available at your dealer or Internet sites such as www.mercededsshop.com, www.performnceproducts.com and I am sure one of our kind advertizers has them,. ALWAYS support our advetizers first, they keep this forum open.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:38 PM

If your key is worn, try getting a new key cut first. This may help to turn it to the accessories position. But it may have a broken part in the tumbler.

If you do need to drill, the easiest way to remove it, is to cut the outer alloy sleeve of the steering lock. It means replacing the steering lock too, but this is by far the easiest way to remove a jammed lock which just won't turn. The pins are all hardened steel which a very dificult to drill.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 PM

this may be late but I just repaired my tumbler housing on my 300e.

If you can possibly get the key to position 1, you are golden. All you would then need to do is replace the tumbler housing with a piece of wire. If you cannot, get ready to remove the steering column, and get out the grinder. Then youll need a new ignition housing (with steering lock).

I hope you have fixed your problem by now...people have told me not to carry too many keys on my keychain due to the undue stress the weight can have on the tumblers.

Good luck

threehun