General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Help! E320 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Question Help! E320 won't start

Hey guys,
This is a continuation of an old thread I posted at the beginning of the month (Stuck 9 hrs into a 28 hr road trip). You can read it here: https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/help-car-wont-start-9-hrs-into-28-hr-rd-trip-34379/

So I have a 2004 E320, and the key won't turn in the ignition. The EIS has been replaced, the battery has been replaced, the Mechanical Ignition Lock and Steering Lock have been replaced, and the problem still happens albeit randomly. You can start the car, but 15 minutes later the car won't start.

The dealer doesn't know what is wrong with it, and they are working with MB central to figure it out.

The car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now.

Any insight or previous experience with this problem would be greatly appreciated. There are more details in the link to the previous thread.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 PM

I assume that the remote key has already been replaced, correct? That is the first place to start. Seeing all of the other components that have been replaced leaves little room for anything else. I would check the front SAM n10/1. The SAM supplies power to to the EIS circuit 30 and commonly ignored circuit 30z. Both are required for operation and the key will not turn without them. I would remove the SAM and inspect for water intrusion in the connectors and if clean, try replacing the SAM anyway. It can always be removed, not VIN coded. I have had numerous problems with front SAMs on the 211 chasis vehicles. I cleaned my bay last month and had 4 laying around! I would be really anxious to hear the repair/remedy, please email me to update. Make sure you are in contact with the service manager to minimize costs for repair and misdiagnosis of the items already replaced. I have had this exact problem multiple times with different remedies. Having a competent technician is a must.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM

The tech is supposed to be really good. I was talking to some MB enthusiast who was at the dealer when I dropped off the car. They "stole" this guy from a MB dealer in LA.

Yeah, I've already evaded some costly problems with them by calling regularly. They were trying to charge me for some parts that were under warranty and parts that they replaced that they can't prove were bad.

I'll pm you when they find out what the problem is. Dealer said MB will get back in contact with them within a day from now....but they've also been saying the car would be ready in a couple days every couple days for the past few weeks.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Dealer is going to replace the SAM. I'll have more info in a couple days.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Smile Same problem

I have a 2004 E 320 and two set of keys. One key work fine: lock, unlock doors and turns car on. the other key locks, unlocks the car but will not even turn when put into the ignition. Any ideas? I'm told it can't be the battery because it's just to lock and unlock the car. I'm thinking it's not the car since the other key works fine. So is it something wrong with the key. if so any idea what and how to fix it? Any help will be appreciated. thanks.