General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

gas line impossible

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Default gas line impossible

mission impossible.

gas line comes off male of gas tank. simple right. (94sl320)

problem 1 there is a rubber grommet/prophylactic pushing against pushing rubber female hose back on male.

problem 2 limited access - no leverage. the hose/tank line is directly above rear left axel. Thus a good hold is near impossible. Add the counter force of the rubber and a problem arises.

Question - does the rear axel have to come off to make this simple repair?
if so what socket is required? I have 50 and 55 star socket but it doesnt seem to fit properly.

Tips suggestions? Help greatly appreciated.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: gas line impossible

Come off?

Surprising. What caused it to work its way off. There shouldn't be any relative movement.

I haven't any experience on your model but are you sure there isn't an access panel in the trunck floor in this area.

Stuart.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 AM

yea I felt the same way. There is this protective grommet which has quite a bit of pressure. I figured after 13 years it won.

Secret door. Yea thats what I need to look for. Seriously. Im continually amazed by the genius of MB. so tomorrow Im gonna dig in the trunk. Tehre must be b/c the tank is completly non accessible from the bottom. Must be from trunk.

It is still odd how this line came off. I was thinking maybe my tank was being siphoned by theives (hi gas prices) and caused odd pressure but thats total speculation.

Thanks tho.

will check tomorrow

Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 AM

Hi Gas prices!

Try the UK >7.5 USD/ US Gall!

1.05 GBP/Litre
4.5 lire to Imp Gallon
US Gall only 80% UK Gall
2 USD to 1 GBP

Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 AM

mmmkay thanks for that gas price breakdown. not sure it helps with my prob tho.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 PM

on most cars there's an access panel either in the trunk or underneath the rear seats.

Other than that have you thought about just dropping the tank a few inches? Or are there things in the way preventing you from doing this?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Cpt Morgan PHD

on most cars there's an access panel either in the trunk or underneath the rear seats.

Other than that have you thought about just dropping the tank a few inches? Or are there things in the way preventing you from doing this?
Ill look tomorrow. Dropping the tank? Cant even see the tank. Its like completly enclosed. Im wondering if its accessed from top. Tank isnt in the way. Its the axel. Looking up theres a recess in the bottom of the car and thats where the lines are. the tank isnt in the way at all. If the axel wasnt there it would be quite easy.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM

well spoke to a mb mechanic and while he wasnt familiar with this car off hand specifically he didnt think there was any trap door or alternate access. So I guess axel removal is necessary. 50mm star is the correct socket? anyone?