Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w210 2000 caliper inlet line / brake line problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Unhappy w210 2000 caliper inlet line / brake line problem

Hey all, had a bit of an issue when changing out front right pads. 2000 e320 4matic.

I still may have issue with my caliper, but during swap out of pads, broke a line.

Here's where it gets crazy, all the connections appear seized and I don't want to have to replace the entire line, but wondering if there are recommendations.

The line specifically broke (pinhole) at the caliper mount, but MB doesn't have a reference to the metal line going into the caliper. Basically, it's what would be called in old skool parlance, a caliper inlet line. All the strores show hoses of the rubber variety and not sure if replacement of outer house goes straight to caliper. I don't seem to see an inlet line in any other w210 models that I've found pics for, although none of the pics specifically reference it in tags. Caliper is single piston.

I'm at a point where I might just cut the line and try to go from there. How the h e double hockey sticks does a guy unseize these freakin' connectors?

FWIW, I did manage to loosen and remove the line from the caliper, just not the inlet line from the outer hose. I have been using sea foam penatrating, I've also used brake cleaner to get as much crud off as possible and I eventually used heat to remove line from caliper, but nothing working on other end. And I also can't find a way to remove the caliper inlet line's caliper mount.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM

OK, not sure if any understood what I was talking about, or maybe the question isn't really clear, as I don't know if I really had a question other than asking for opinions or recommendations. The real question I think is whether the outer brake hose on replacement for a 2000 e320 4matic will bolt straight into the caliper or not?

I'm attaching two pics to show what I'm talking about. The first one is a back shot and the second is a top shot. As you can clearly see the caliper inlet line on the top shot and the inlet line mount on the first shot which I can't figure out how to remove, either.

I didn't mark the pics, just uploaded them. But as you all can see in the second pic, the metal inlet line comes from the caliper and connects to the mount and outer hose as shown pretty much dead centre of photo, with outer hose then going "left" of that to connect to inner hose at mount on strut.

NB: I just wanted to add that this inlet line mount is really important in the event that the brake sensor cable broke, the sensor cable actually mounts on the bolt of this piece, so being able to remove it, or the fact that it is actually there in the first place, appears very important.

Attached Thumbnails w210 2000 caliper inlet line / brake line problem-dsc_0259.jpg   w210 2000 caliper inlet line / brake line problem-dsc_0255.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin Rattai; 10-02-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling and to add note
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM

OK, after a little bit more work, found that the inlet line mount was actually moving! So I managed to remove the bolt holding the mount to the caliper which hopefully will give me more room to safely remove the inlet line from the mount.

The second pick shows a wider view of the outer hose strut mount and passing through the wheel housing to the caliper inlet.

I think the mount bolt might be a T30 or T40, but it was so badly rounded inside that I just used vice grips to remove it. Thankfully there is a lot of volume on the head of that bolt.

Attached Thumbnails w210 2000 caliper inlet line / brake line problem-dsc_0262.jpg   w210 2000 caliper inlet line / brake line problem-dsc_0261.jpg