General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

becoming an mb technician

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 AM
Default becoming an mb technician

pls am a 22yr old dude with a little technical background and I would lik to become a Mercedes Benz technician,any suggestion or help will be appreciated

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM

stay away and pick a differnt career!! i always tell myself that, its not like it used to be. very hard to make money. benz has cut times on repairs and these cars can be very frustrating. Dont get me wrong.. I do like my job a lot. and i do enjoy going to work. With these cars you do learn something new all the time. Trust me,working for Benz is not what its all cracked up to be. My income has decreased dramatically in the past 5 yrs. probably 10k -15k a year less!!
Now this all depends on where you work and what dealership you work at, also how many Benz dealerships are in your area. I work in a very upscale area outside Philadelphia and there are 3 dealerships within about 20 minutes of each other. The one dealership is close to the low class part of the city and most of the customers really cant afford their Mercedes and shouldnt be driving them, They dont have the money to fix them ot maintain them and will waste your time as a Mechanic.I recently moved to the more high end area and the clients are completely differnt, The dealer Im at now is a little bit slower business wise, but the dealership pays better and the customers have more money and actually fix and maintain their cars. during the winter months it slows alot. customers go to their florida homes for the winter and business is slow. There are weeks where I dont make a 40 hour paycheck! remember most or a majority of benz techs are flatrate pay, if theres no cars to fix...you dont make any money. There used to be a weekly gaurantee of 30 or even 40 hours/week yrs ago, but that was all taken away. Again it depends on what dealer you go to and the management there, I worked at a Benz dealer for 12 yrs. I loved it there. New management came in, who used to run a Nissan Dealership and they treated the Benz dealer like a North Philly used car lot. needless to say they lost a lot of great experienced Benz techs. Cutting pay, cutting benefits and they thought bringing in new inexperienced techs was a way for them to line their pockets with more money. you might want to look into being a service writer instead of being a tech. writers overall get more money and dont get dirty. a much easier job, But you gotta deal with the problem customers. Good Luck.
I started 13 yrs ago as a benz tech at 15.00 an hour after attending the mercedes benz ELITE program. remember this isnt what you get hourly.If you understand flat rate youll understand. I know dealerships now paying 10-12 bucks an hour for no experience techs.
work distribution is usually not fair and there is favortisim witin the techs. some guys will make money, and most guys wont.!

Last edited by chassis221; 01-27-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM

thanx alot chassis I rili appreciate bt am frm a country where dere are a few Benz technicians dose available are only familiar with d older models. pls where did u attend ur elite program and hw much did it cost.