General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1981 240d won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Default 1981 240d won't start

Hello, I have a manual 1981 240d. Up until two weeks ago, it was working great. Then we had a cold streak and the car would not start. My husband jumped it when the sun came up and the car started roughly. I drove to work and it continued to have no problems throughout the day. That night I drove up to my parents' house (up a mountain... no snow but into the 30s) and the next day the car would not start. My husband drove up and changed the oil to 15/40 synthetic diesel, changed the oil filter, changed the gas filter, cleaned the fuel pump, changed the air filter, charged the battery... still no start. It sounded like it really wanted to start and especially almost came to life after tapping the see-through fuel filter, but it just won't turn over. We are now basically at a loss. It sounds like it is just not getting gas. I don't know if anyone can help or has had any similar experiences...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Is your diesel fuel gelled? I have a no start problem today too so I feel your pain.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Default Not turnover or not crank?

My initial thought was either glow plugs or valve adjustment, but you stated that it would not turnover. When you mention it would not turnover do you mean would not crank at all then check battery cables, ground, and starter.
If it does crank but does not fire then check glow plugs and valve adjustment.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Thank you so much for responding. The glow plugs are new. I read about adjusting the valves and tried to convince my husband that this was a real possibility but he feels it's a lot of work for nothing... I will pass along that someone knowledgeable has recommended the same. There is also air in the fuel line... could this be caused by fuel gelling?

The car is cranking, just not catching.

I hope you resolved your start-up problems!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM

You could start by purging the air in the fuel system at the hardline and injector fittings first as that is easier/less time consuming than a valve adjustment and maybe your problem but I doubt that it is from gelling fuel, with ambient temps in the thirties as your original post stated. If you are not sure when the last time the valves were adjusted you should do that at this time anyway as it can only improve starting ease if the valves are indeed to tight not allowing the valves to fully close reducing compression.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Also have you checked that the new glow plugs are actually getting power to them during the glow cycle, could be a blown strip fuse or faulty relay.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Thank you so much for the suggestions. We plan on trying them as soon as it stops raining. ( we don't have a garage). I will definitely keep you posted regarding your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM

So we are doing the valve adjustment and found that the number one exhaust valve will not loosen. It doesn't appear to be from carbon buildup... just failure to adjust. All the others worked fine. They all were too tight.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Oh yes, and glow plugs are giving power. Maybe if and when we get the valves done it will start.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 AM

We got the number one valve to loosen! Screwdriver and patience a must. Now three more to go... two intakes and the number 4 exhaust.

Quick Reply: 1981 240d won't start