General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ABS and ASR failure lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Default ABS and ASR failure lights

hi, i changed the front ball joints last week and ever since the lights for the ABS andASR(skidcontrol) have been coming on intermittently. When the lights are on the car seem to work fine but when they are off the ABS seems to be hyper sensitive and making a strange noise. Not sure what to do i was told it might be just a matter of resetting the sensors though the diagnostics. if anybody can put me straight onthis i would be grateful

Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Default RE: ABS and ASR failure lights

Sounded like that your ABS sensor cable/connector may be the problems. You probably disconnected it when you replaced the front ball-joint. You can check the connectivity and if the sensor was not installed correctly.

Another way is to get the code reader to find out the error code, then do the repair accordingly. Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Default RE: ABS and ASR failure lights

Hi,

If the brakes are working differently since you undertook the ball joint replacement I suggest you get the car looked at since something may have been replaced incorrectly.

Replacing the ball joints SHOULD have had NO EFFECT on the brakes. Even a change of pads should have made no noticeable difference except possibly for the first couple of applications.

My first thought is that the front bearings or front rotors may be tight o the caliper etc. Did you dismantle these. if so what procedure did you use as you replaced them.
Maybe a red herring but brakes are somewhat important!

It is possible that the "strange" noise is the ABS operating. If so the question has to be why it is working when presumably you are driving normally and ABS operation wouldn't be expected. Maybe it was icy. You don't say.

If an ABS sensor was left disconnected then the ABS warning light would be on and the ABS would be inoperative so no strange noise should be coming from the ABS.

Of course there are a number of reasons why ABS system can fail / operate in an unplanned manner but why immediately following a front suspension rebuild?

From the information you have provided I worry that the front suspension has not been reassembled correctly.

Be warned.

Stuart