General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

300SDL No Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Default 300SDL No Power

My 1986 300SDL Turbo was running well until Cylinder head cracked and pressurized the reservoir. It did not overheat...even when pressure cap was burping. I have had the head repaired and all new valve guides and seats and valve job, While apart I put new timing chain , oil pump chain all chain rails and tensioner. Sent Turbocharger out for rebuild , sent injection pump and injectors out for inspection. I have installed all new glow plugs and replaced the fuel lines and filters , including replacing the fuel strainer screen in the bottom of the tank. Now the car will not go above 30 mph on a long grade. I have checked for linkage going to Full throttle. I installed a new EGR valve , but even disconnected it as I have been told it is a POWER robber. When I sent the pump out for inspection , I got broken in the return Shipping. My pump re builder was very accommodating and said he had some extra parts and would assemble / repair my broken pump with the donor pump he had. ( The damage was 1 of the 3 mounting ears broke off ). I have been so frustrated with all that has been done and the car is not road worthy. ( It will run up to about 60 mph on the freeway ). It also does not start nicely on the first try as it should , especially with all new glow plugs. My daughter has virtually the same engine ( OM603 ) in her 1987 300 TD wagon, her car starts GREAT and runs Strong with 390,000 miles. I tried to be pretty accurate with the pump timing , using the special tool that inserts into the side of the pump. I also verified Exact CRANK PULLEY Markings with a dial indicator when head was off. I have done an engine compression test and have 400 psi in every cylinder. I am suspicious of the pump ?? I have not done a turbo boost test nor have I removed the exhaust system to check to clog., but it does blow smoke out the tailpipe when rev-ved up.
Can anyone shed some light or a direction to go next ? If the pump was incorrect would it behave this way ? Thanks for any feedback

Old 04-25-2021, 03:17 PM
Default 300 SDL No Power

Just wanted to update, PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!! Plugged exhaust !!! Hope this helps people struggling.