General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2003 SL350 boot/trunk will not open

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Unhappy 2003 SL350 boot/trunk will not open

Hi, I so need someones help, I have a SL350 2003 model, the central locking has failed and I have a electrical consumers warning coming on the dashboard, the battery has run very low so all consumers have been turned off. The major problem is that I cannot open the boot/trunk, the key fob won't open it nor will the door button, I have tried the key blade and fiddled the key in the lock for some time, pulling the lever etc but to no avail, I have had water get into the boot due to the drainage pipe coming detached but this only soaked the boot carpets, it didn't get into the electrics, so does anyone have any idea on how i can open the boot, the battery needs charging and the boot needs drying... help..

Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Does the veh start? The SL's have a starter battery under the hood. If you need to charge the battery in the trunk start the car and if you alt. is ok it will charge the battery in the trunk.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Default starting

Hi, yeah I can start the car ok and it is charging the battery in the trunk, but still cannot open the trunk, and ideas?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 AM

The blade key should work. Turn it all the way one direction and pull the handle. Then turn the other direction and pull the handle. You must pull the handle while holding the key in the turned position. If that doesn't work the latch is bad and needs to be replaced. The only way into the trunk is to break out the 3rd brake light and you can pull the release rod. The latch is not that hard to replace, but if you are not careful you can damage the wings on the deck lid for the top. Do this and the top will not work! More $

Old 04-10-2024, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bearsbusa
The blade key should work. Turn it all the way one direction and pull the handle. Then turn the other direction and pull the handle. You must pull the handle while holding the key in the turned position. If that doesn't work the latch is bad and needs to be replaced. The only way into the trunk is to break out the 3rd brake light and you can pull the release rod. The latch is not that hard to replace, but if you are not careful you can damage the wings on the deck lid for the top. Do this and the top will not work! More $
I

i have same problem regarding jammed boot so will probably have to break the 3rd Brake light - what’s the best way to do this ?