General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1992 MB 600SEL ASR/engine cranks, but doesn´t start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 01:13 AM
Default 1992 MB 600SEL ASR/engine cranks, but doesn´t start

Dear Members,

I´m a new member in desperate need of help. I´m starting my first thread, hoping that I can collect as much information as I can to get my car back on the road.

Here´s the story:

I just bought a 1992 MB 600SEL recently and decided to enjoy my new toy and drive it home across Europe (4200km - 2500mls). The previous owner reported he had had some issues, like soft close doors not working and for some reason sometimes the ASR kicked in when taking off, but only left rear wheel and when pressing the Winter Tyre button the ASR switched off and no issues while cruising. He had replaced the wiring harness under the hood and changed all the liquids by the book.

The other day I was driving on a highway and traffic slowed down. Once the traffic picked up speed again, I also had to accelerate a bit harder to keep up and suddenly the transmission downshifted quite violently (thumps) and then nothing felt right anymore (limp-home mode). The rpm was limited to around 2400 and unable to maintain highway speed cause the car just didn´t want to accelerate. Going uphill the engine was struggling hard. Using cruise control, I was able to maintain some kind of speed and so I drove to the nearest gas station and switched off the engine to see if it would reset. Initially it felt like it was back to normal so I took off again, but at highway speeds, it was obvious the issue was not resolved. When going up hill again, the speed started to drop like before, but this time, when going downhill, the engine suddenly stalled - just switched off without any warning. Now when I turn the key, it cranks and cranks and cranks, but doesn´t start. First I thought maybe I flooded the engine pushing it up the hill in limp mode and it just drowned and stalled. I performed the flood procedure, but no use. Strong gasoline smell was there, but the engine just cranked, no signs of starting up.

The car was towed to a Merc technician and they spent a whole day trying to figure out what was was going on with the engine. First they said the car didn´t have any spark, fuel pressure was OK. Then they said the spark was there, but compression was low. (how low, value?? no-one explained). How they measured it, no-one explained.....mind that the car had been sitting for almost 12-13h before they did anything so the engine was not at working temp like Merc suggests for the comp test. What they came up with was that I needed a new engine....timing chain shifted, engine bent (all that happened in Southern Europe, so the verdict was given using Google Translate)

I checked the fuses in the trunk and the one´s under the hood, driver´s side, seemed OK. Didn´t have time to get to the relays or the coffin box. Throttle bodies seemed to be working (the electric motor spinning sound).

I have the Rick´s Merc Code Reader, so I got the car pushed to a parking lot and decided to read the codes myself and this is what I got:

6. ASR – Codes 13 (Stop lamp switch ASD/ASR). 30 (CAN data line to electronic accelerator/cruise control/idle speed control module). 4 (Left rear axle vehicle speed sensor signal) – ABLE TO CLEAR

7. EA/ISC/CC – Codes 2 (EA/CC/ISC control module (N4/1) or Safety contact switch (M16/1s1) or Stop lamp switch or Cruise control switch or Actual value potentiometer or Starter lock-out/back-up lamp switch or engine speed signal or vehicle speed signal or closed throttle position switch or safety relay in EA/CC/ISC control module. 3 (Right EA/CC/ISC actuator (left cylinder bank) (M16/1)).
5 (Stop lamp switch (S9/1)).
13 (Left EA/CC/ISC actuator (right cylinder bank) or actual value potentiometer (M16/4r1 or M16/4r2) or actuator motor (M16/4m1) or magnetic clutch (M16/4k1). NOT ABLE TO CLEAR

8. Base Module/Brake Assist – Codes 6 (Electromagnetic a/c compressor clutch blocked). 10 (Voltage supply for LH-SFI control module interrupted. Voltage supply for fuel injectors interrupted) 11 (Voltage supply for accessory equipment control module interrupted). 12 (Voltage supply for ABS control module, ABS/ASR control module or ASD control module interrupted). 13 (not used). ABLE TO CLEAR

12. Speed Sensitive Power Steering – Codes 3 (Left/center rear axle speed sensor signal). 4 (Right rear axle vehicle speed sensor signal) 5 (Diffident vehicle speed signals from right and left rear axle sensor).
7 (Inductive speed sensor, transmission faulty) 9 (Short circuit at speed sensitive power steering valve)
11 (Volts supply at speed sensitive power steering control module) ABLE TO CLEAR

20. Pneumatic System Equipment Model 140 – Code 6 (Manifold vacuum assist, air demand too high, leakage)

23. Anti-Theft System ATA – Code 15 (Counted 15 but that doesn´t seem to come up from the faults list. Maybe I made a mistake and it was 14 lights I should have counted. 14 - Alarm activated, brake circuit). ABLE TO CLEAR

The car is now on a trailer and will be home next week. Hopefully, with Your help, I can get some more information on what could have happened and when the car arrives, I can start troubleshooting the hell out of it to make it work again.

Thank you for reading!

Brgds.