Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASR / Cruise Control - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Default ASR / Cruise Control - Problem

HI,

I've a E320 W124T 1995 automatic model.

I have experienced that ASR lamp goes on when I'm driving with the cruise control. It has never happend when I'm not using the cruise control.

When it happens I have to slow down - stop the engine and turn it on again. Thereafter I can drive again.

I'm usually driving short distances and therefore using the cruise control very seldom - only during vacations - however it is a very disturbing/stressing when I'm driving in a foreign country and this start happening. [:@]

What can cause this problem and how can I solve it?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Default RE: ASR / Cruise Control - Problem

Hi,

Does the Cruise work correctly apart from turning the ASR light on? Check at several speeds. 30/40/50/60/70 mph.

Vehicle mileage?

When did the problem start? Did anything else happen at this point? i.e. Service.

Stuart

Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 AM

Hi Stuart,

Hmmm ... The cruise control is working perfect - exept from one thing. Let me try to explain: The cruise control has 4 positions which it can be moved/pushed:
1: upward (increase speed / setting speed faster) - works ok
2: downward (decreasing speed / setting speed slower) - works ok
3: away (terminating speed) - works ok
4: inward (setting current speed as standard speed) - This function seems not to be working. So when I'm setting speed I use alternative 1 or 2.

I can accelrate up using my foot and for instance pass another car - when I've passed and I remove the foot it goes back into the same speed as it was before I accelrated. As soon as I touch breake the cruise control terminates as it should.

So I think that the cruise control works as it should beside as described in alternative 4.
-----------------
I've experienced this 2 times (but as I said the I'm mostly driving very short distances) And on holidays far from home I don't start experiment with this.

It happens when I have a speed of approximatly 110-130 km/h ~ 70-80 mph.

The car has been running 205.000 KM ~ 127.000 milage
----------------

I cannot recall that anything happend in the point in time when it happend the first time. For instance the car on service.

I think the car is running perfect othervise.

But I will check with different speeds and get back to you unless an answer can be given already.

----------------
Finally thank you for you kind and fast reply.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 AM

I await tests at different speed before suggesting what is wrong since this will narrow down the options.

Stuart

Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 AM

Hi,
Don't completely agree with your description of how the Cruise works.
With respect to the "Pull towards you" position. This is known as RESUME.
It selects the speed that was last set.
SET is achieved by pushing the lever UP or DOWN. (Sets the speed that the Cruise will hold)
So your system seems to be working exactly as it should.

Am I correct or was it just the way I read your words etc.

So your problem remains that the ASR light comes on (occasionally) when you operate the Cruise. Is this correct? You are sure the problems are linked?

Excuse me but are you sure you are familiar with how the ASR is supposed to operate. The last time I was involved in a query about ASR the guy didn't understand how the system was supposed to work.

Which ASR light?
ASR malfunction (word ASR) or ASR operating light (yellow triangle)

What model and year is your vehicle. Do you have an ASR override switch?

Stuart

Old 08-08-2006, 05:19 AM

Hi Stuart,

Obviosly I haven't understood how the "4 position" / "pull towards you" works - I bought my car in Germany 3 years ago and all these things are written in german - also the manual. I'm danish but living in Finland. Anyway I'm ofcourse glad to hear that nothing is wrong here.

It is the ASR malfunction (Word ASR in panel). Not the triangle.

Model is: 5D kombi E 320T-124092/280 - Manufature no.: WDB1240921F340521

The car is first registered in 1996 but I'm think it is a 1995 modell.

ASR override switch I dont think I have. However I have a switch where the symbol is a "tyre with snow-chains on" - Could that be it?

------

Is the problems connected/linked? Hmmm.. I believe that , but I am not sure.
I have encountered the problem twice - both time when using cruise control - both time driving on highway with around 80 mph. It has never happend when not using the cruise control. Both time it happend were during longer journeys (700-800 miles - Finland => Denmark). After the ASR mailfunction came on I had to stop the car (unable to speed). After start I drove without cruise and nothing happend. In other words no ASR malfunction when the cruise is not used.
So I think here is correlation - but if using the cruise is the cause I don't know.

I think the car is working very good othervise - not getting warm, leaking oil, strange sounds or things like that.

Yesterday I was out driving and tested as you suggested. No problems. I tested a few miles at different speed from 35 - 55 mph. But I will perform more tests in the comming days.
But perhaps this only happens at higher speed ie. around 80-90 mph?

It is ofcourse ok that you ask if I understand things correctly - And believe me... Cars and their technique is not my strong side. So just aks or/and correct me if you think I'm wrong on different issues. No one gets offended here. Anyway I dont think the ASR malfunction should come on when driving. And it has only happend in combination when I'm using the cruise control.

Any good suggestions?

Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 AM

Good.

We've moved forward.

So Cruise looks OK but I would still like to know it works correctly (i.e. maintains correct speed) when set at the different speeds. The reason for this is that there may be a faulty (dead) patch on the throttle actuator or throttle body. This test might just pick up the problem if valid. such a problem is quite common on vehicles with this amount of mileage.

The word ASR means a system malfunction, not operation of the system, so I guess we do not have a misunderstanding here and all looks OK

Without referring to my MB computer (elsewhere) I assume the car is a 320 petrol, NOT diesel. Am I correct.

What happens when you try to provoke the ASR into operation. i.e. A full throttle start (Only carry out this procedure if you feel competent. Take care if you are not use to using full throttle) on a wet, slippy surface. Does the ASR malfunction or the yellow triangle come on? If nothing comes on I suspect you havn't trying hard enough to make the ASR work.

I also assume that your ABS system is working correctly. To check operation you need to stop quickly from say 30 kph on grass or a wet slippery road. You should hear the ABS pump working and there should be a vibration that you can hear or feel through the brake pedal. (ABS system cycling). I ask this because the ASR system is designed to become inactive if there is a fault with the ABS (i.e. ASR malfunction light comes on). This is because the ASR system uses the ABS system to stop a spinning/slipping wheel from turning.

You make the assumption that the problem only exists when the Cruise is operating. This may not be true. It may be a function of the position of the throttle pedal / throttle body. When you stopped and restarted you may have been OK for a further hour or so until the required conditions (throttle position) occurred once again.

Any chance you can get the diagnostic codes read and interpretted by a dealer.

I await your response.

Subject to the above I suspect that you may have a faulty speed signal / wheel sensor but this should have activated the ABS light as well.

The next suspect component is a throttle pedal/body malfunction due to corrosion / water ingress or wear. Any chance you can locate it and open it up to see if all looks OK without further help. This will eliminate water ingress possibility.

Stuart

Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 PM

Good afternoon, I read this with interest I have a similar problem the dealer can't figure out.

1994 E320 Wagon, intermitenly the ASR light comes on, whether cruise is on or not, the engine speed drops to 500 rpm and I have to turn of the the car and start it again which it does no problem.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Default ASR problems

I have an e320 cabriolet sportline 1995 and have had intermitent asr light problems. The first time it happened 3 years ago was on cruise control, so I stopped using it. It continued to occur very sporadically( maybe every 6 months), so was not worth worrying about. a simple stop and restart sorted it out. now, this week,happening every few miles, whether driving slowly or fast- seems not to occur until car gets up to normal operating temperature.
when the light comes on power drops, so that at full trottle it will only do 60km per hour.
Any ideas

Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM

I have a 1987 300D Turbo with 225,000 miles on it. It is well maintained. The cruise control became erratic last year, on some days it would work perfectly and on others it would not even engage. I finally decided to have it fixed. We changed the cruise control actuater with no change in effect. We disconnected and reconnected the cruise amplifier with no changes taking place either. This leaves the cruise control switch itself, which I have not changed as yet. What are the chances that it is the culprit? On good days it does everything it is supposed to do, but today it would not engage the cruise control once again.

Quick Reply: ASR / Cruise Control - Problem