General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1981 240D Starter/Ignition By-pass help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Default 1981 240D Starter/Ignition By-pass help

Hello, I have a 81 240'd 4spd, She is my baby... After a 6 hour car ride she has decided she doesn't want to start.

Battery good,
voltage at starter solenoid, good
Using a screw-driver to 'bypass' the solenoid (scary....) but, good (engine cranks)

I am left with a faulty solenoid, or possibly a faulty ignition? What else could it be?

I am mostly writing to ask about bypassing the ignition (so I can see if that is the problem) with a seperate push-button. On my 300D I installed a button that lets me crank the motor if the ignition acts up. Because of the wiring in that car it was very easy to do. But the 240D is such a different animal. I can't figure out where or how to by-pass the ignition and trip the starter automatically. Until I do that I won't know which one the problem is. I suspect like my 300D is the ignition and I would just leave the button installed and use it as needed. If its the solenoid I need to get it on order... hhmmm..

Any ideas you guys?!

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Check the purple wire in the switch harness to see if its getting voltage when the key is turned.
I'm sorry can you just clarify which switch harness? the one at the solenoid or at the ignition switch itself?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Can be either. The glowplug relay also has the same wire used as a signal to turn off the glowplugs.
Ok, the purple wire gets voltage... when jumping the battery to the solenoid terminal, nothing, when jumping the battery to the starter terminal it turns over...

Bad solenoid huh? I can't seem to find just a solenoid locally... They want $200 for a whole starter plus core. I've never changed a starter on one of these yet............

Maybe if I bang on it a few more times... lol

What do you think?

Also, a long time ago you were the first person to post a response to one of my questions and you did it again, I really appreciate it! Your 240 makes me jealous!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM

Sounds like you found it, time for a new starter.

Ask around some of the forums and eBay, you should be able to find a good used one for a good deal.

So what you would you do? used one for cheap? find 'just' the solenoid? try to repair this solenoid? Or just pay the $200 and order a new starter with solenoid.

Now, have you changed out a starter on your 240? I'm a little intimidated...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 AM

I have never needed to change my starter. I would go with the used route then take apart your existing one to see if its repairable. If you can fix it you'll either have a good spare or you can make up the cost of the other starter. If it can't be fixed then you'll still save $150+ over new or rebuilt cost.
Oh no I am not a happy camper!!!!!

It took me three days of a couple hours a day and I got the old starter out and the new one in... ITS STILL BROKE!

Its sooooooooo weird... There is a small chance my old starter isn't bad at all! ;( because the new one acted the exact same.

When the ignition is in the 'start' position, and and I jump the battery + to the purple wire screw it tries to start. BUT the purple wire gets voltage like its supposed to on the volt meter, this is what let me to believe the solenoid was out in the first place!

So I might have done a starter install for nothing...

I still don't know what it is...

The ignition is weird, I think its broken somehow, it rolls all the way to the right (so its pointed downward at a 45 degree angle, but it doesn't bounce back up to the 'run' position, it just stays cranked at 'start' and there is no spring back. Did the ignition just die? I don't get it.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 AM

bump, for any new ideas anyone has....