Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

99 om606.962 performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Default 99 om606.962 performance questions

I recently acquired a nice running 99 e300td with a badly rusted body and am dying to swap the engine/tranny into a 2wd 1/2 ton truck. My question is what are the simplest bolt on mods to do to to get an extra 100 HP out of it? I'm willing to integrate the oe ecu into the swap and really love the driveability of VNT turbos so am hesitant to go mechanical IP and a wastegated Holset. I know there's probably not many options for bolt on turbos since the KKK has a weird triangular pattern. I've been a TDI ALH guy for years including tunes, bolt on mods,etc. Unfortunately a 1.9 TDI is too small for a 1/2 ton truck and I feel really fortunate with this complete car find with this awesome engine. Lastly, are there any tuners out there with success tuning the Bosch oe ecu?

Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 AM

Sounds like I need to go the route the Europeans do and get a couple of VNT-17s or a single Holset as well as a mechanical OM603 IP and send it off to Diselmeken. Which brand stand alone boost controller would you recommend? There are some exhaust flanges on Ebay to start my custom exhaust header for a Holset. I need to find someone to fab that header and turbo flange too. thx

Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Default expected om606.962 engine maintenance at 175k

Is there any areas I should address while I have my engine out ie water pump,chains and tensioner,oil pump,etc? I plan to run some B100 through it to clean out the fuel system,injectors. I don't have maintenance history on the engine.

Last edited by 50harleyrider; 07-07-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:43 AM

Is that a possible visual check with the valve cover off? If I see one loose, should I replace them all provided the cam lobes look good? I did notice a cold start tap that certainly sounds lifter related. Diesels are always tricky pinpointing noises given that ever present diesel knock. Are chain tensioners/oil pumps ever an issue on these engines?

Back to your earlier post, I think the wise thing for me to do is put an OM603 IP on this engine. Wouldn't it at least have to have larger elements to even equal my oem IP? The folks I've talked to in Europe want an arm and leg for a dieselmeken built one. I sure won't be drifting my truck anytime soon so I'm not getting caught up in the HP money game. Surely there is someone stateside who can help out tweaking an om603. thx

Last edited by 50harleyrider; 07-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
That engine doesn't have a VNT, just a really really small turbo.
You won't be able to transfer over the ECM. It expects to communicate with the transmission, body and instrument cluster ECUs. Without their input it will go into limp mode and you'll get no boost.

There is no benefit to retaining the ECM either. Its only controlling the injection pump rack position, EGR valve position and turbo boost. There are several standalone VNT controllers on the market and a VNT can be effectively controlled mechanically too.
I really wanted to get the engine swap done before I made the high dollar (dieselmeken pump, tubular header/HE351VE turbo) additions with only the PCS controller for the Ford tranny and of course the engine adapter plate and torque converter. Should I just bite the bullit and get the rest of the components up front? DPUK wants 1200 pounds + shipping and tariff for just the pump.