Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Why no core charge on new Bosch injector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Default Why no core charge on new Bosch injector?

I was looking at injectors for my 85 300D Turbo and see a couple sites with no core charge on a new Bosch injector and cost less than $60, so naturally I'm suspicious of the quality, especially when other brand rebuilt injectors have a core charge and are more expensive. The p/n is BOSCH Part # 0432217134. RockAuto, AutohausAz both have it. Probably a lot more places too. Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldcar85
I was looking at injectors for my 85 300D Turbo and see a couple sites with no core charge on a new Bosch injector and cost less than $60, so naturally I'm suspicious of the quality, especially when other brand rebuilt injectors have a core charge and are more expensive. The p/n is BOSCH Part # 0432217134. RockAuto, AutohausAz both have it. Probably a lot more places too. Anybody have any thoughts?
If any part is a completely New Part there should be no Core Charge and that includes Injectors.

If you are purchasing something rebuilt at Rockauto the Core Charges show up after you start processing your order as do the shipping charges. You get to see all of that with out having to enter any Credit Card information.
I also checked Auto Haus and their Ad does not say that they are New but there is no Core Charge.
Both Companies have numbers you can call to ask questions. I would ask them if what they are selling are rebuilt or New Nozzles.
Rebuilt Nozzles were about $48 each a while back. It may be these companies decided it was too expensive for them to deal with the processing the Cores and simply added what would have been the Core Charge to the Price and are selling them outright.

I don't know what to say about the Bosch quality any more. The German Made Nozzles and whole Injectors were up there with the Best.
For a time for rebuilding purposes German and French Injector Nozzles were available; the sources for them seems to have dried up.

Bosch switched Injector Nozzle production to India. Over the Years from what I have read those Nozzles sometimes have quality control issues right out of the Box and have longevity issues.
I also have read at least 2 forum Members (another Forum) using them with no problems.

I am guessing if they are New complete Injectors are made entirely in India. But, I have no way to verify that.

If you do buy a set Please post on this Forum where the whole Injector is made.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 PM

Diesel9112,
Thank you for informative reply. I'm still in troubleshooting mode. I may just buy one injector for now. Will post country of origin if I do.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Bosch injectors are no longer good quality because of being manufactured in India.

Monark or Bosio are what you should use.
I did a little searching on Monark and see that they are sold in sets of 4 or 5. Since I'm in troubleshooting mode, if I can purchase one Monark injector, can you think of any reason why mixing one Monark with what I currently have (they are remanufactured in India and I've had them for quite a few years without any problems - bought them from a site before it was called P P - and in fact do not know if they are now causing a problem. I only suspect a bad injector because at start up, the car is running rough and pretty noisy and I hear what I think is a misfire. It settles down after a bit. After a decent ride I can lift the hood and it looks fine)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldcar85
I did a little searching on Monark and see that they are sold in sets of 4 or 5. Since I'm in troubleshooting mode, if I can purchase one Monark injector, can you think of any reason why mixing one Monark with what I currently have (they are remanufactured in India and I've had them for quite a few years without any problems - bought them from a site before it was called P P - and in fact do not know if they are now causing a problem. I only suspect a bad injector because at start up, the car is running rough and pretty noisy and I hear what I think is a misfire. It settles down after a bit. After a decent ride I can lift the hood and it looks fine)
One of the Tests is called the Injector Cut Out Test.

What you do is while the Engine is running You loosen One Injector Line Nut at the Injector; cutting off the Fuel to that Injector and listen to the Engine or have someone watch the Tachometer.

If the Injector is a good one when will have a noticeable decrease in the Engine rpm.
Tighten that Fuel Injection Line Nut back up and move on to test the Next Injector.

If You loosen the Fuel Injection Line Nut on an Injector and the rpm does not drop or does not drop much You have located what I am going to say a Cylinder where you have a problem. Tighten it back up and finis testing the rest of the Injectors.

To find out if it is an Injector Problem or a Problem with in the Cylinder You are going to swap the Positions of the Injector from the Suspect Cylinder with one of the Injectors that was good.

When that is done you do the Injector Cut Out Test on those 2 Injectors. If the problem followed the Injector from the Suspect Cylinder to the Cylinder it was moved to you have an Injector Problem.

If the problem stayed at the original suspect Cylinder You have a problem with that Cylinder inside of the Engine or though it is less likely/very rare a problem inside of the Fuel Injection Pump.

There is only a few places that sell Rebuilt Injectors with Monark Nozzles and I believe one place that sells rebuilt Injectors with Bosio Nozzles. I am speaking of the complete Injector. You would need to ask them if they are willing to sell one Injector.

I think it is the same if you only buy the Injector Nozzles. You need to ask the Seller if they want to sell only one. I would think it would not be worth it to buy only one Nozzle as the shipping cost compared to the Nozzle cost would be high.

Also the between the Bosio, Monark, and Bosch Injector Nozzles, the innards of the Nozzle (I am not speaking of the rest of the Injector) are all designed differently from each other.
That does not make an single Injector with Bosio or a Monark Nozzle in them the best one to test with in comparison to a Bosch.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM

Other alternatives.

If You bring a single Fuel Injector to a Fuel Injection Shop and they are not busy they might test that Injector for Free. It all depends on the Shop. Some will do it for free and some won't.

You could take a walk at the local Junk Yard and pull some used Mercedes Injectors. Looking for a low milage Car or one that has Injectors that have a Plastic Band between the upper and lower Injector Body.
The Plastic band for the Turbo Diesel Injectors will have NA 31 X or NA 34X on them.

The NA31X is the Older Number. I don't know if there is any difference between the 2 of them.
About 4 years ago a used Diesel Injector at the Junk Yard was $5 each.

You could take the used Injectors to a Fuel Injection shop and see if they can find one good one out of the bunch to use as your test Injector.