Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Problem a shift lever bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Default Problem a shift lever bushing?

1985 300D Turbo
Auto transmission, floor shift. Pulled into the driveway, put shift into Park position, shut off engine, but car rolled back (slight hill) until I jiggled the shift lever in the park position. I did some searching on this forum and concluded that a likely problem is the shift lever bushing. Does that sound like the most likely cause? Then after that, the next time I went somewhere, parked and went to leave, there was dead silence when I tried to start the car. I had to jiggle the shift lever and then the car started. I wasn't on a slope so I don't really know if the car had actually gone into park, but if it was in park I suppose I might have issues with the neutral safety switch as well. Right now I'm thinking the neutral safety switch is not a problem since a defective shift lever bushing would probably not position the switch correctly. But I could be wrong – maybe two bad parts?
I don't want to get under the car on jack stands in my not level driveway, so I'm going to find an indie to do this job. If it is the shift lever bushing, what would be a fair time estimate to do the job? I know estimates can vary widely, so just trying to get a rough idea. When I got an estimate to replace my rear axles about a half dozen years ago or so, the local guy who I've done business with before gave me a book value of 7 ½ hours. So I searched on line and found a local indie transmission place who's been in business for many years and gave me a time of 4 hours and he didn't mind that I bought the rebuilt axles from CVJ. So he did the job and I haven't had a problem. He might get this job, but he isn't the closest to me.
Anyway, I'm thinking that since this shift lever bushing is pretty cheap (83 ¢ for MTC brand) I may as well buy one when I order some fuel filters just so whoever does the job doesn't have to order one. Well 83¢ sounds a little too cheap. Does anyone have any experience with the various brands?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 PM

I would not use the MTC Shifter Bushings.

It does sound more like you have Shifter Busing issue if you had to hunt for Park.

If your Drive Way is on an Angle why can't you support the Rear of the Car on Ramps and use Wheel Chocks to block the Front Wheels.

Also it does not sound like you use Your Parking Brake; is that working?

Simply ask the Transmission Shop Guy what He would charge to change out the Shifter Bushings.
By the way 7.5 Hours sound like too much time for a Professional to do the job.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
That is very important.
The transmission is not a kickstand!
O.K. Thanks Forced and Diesel9112. Am using it now. I kind of remember with my previous cars (not MBZ) that the emergency brake would sometimes stick in the winter time so never used it.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcar85
O.K. Thanks Forced and Diesel9112. Am using it now. I kind of remember with my previous cars (not MBZ) that the emergency brake would sometimes stick in the winter time so never used it.
I have not given any thought on how to lube the Parking Brake Cable but I know if You don't use it and it never moves for Years curd and maybe Rust will build up inside and really get stuck..

Old 08-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Mercedes Parts was close to the transmission shop, so I picked up a shift lever bushing just in case that was the problem and the transmission place didn't have it. When I got to the transmission place he said he had one, but would use mine if needed. I had also scheduled a transmission service which the car needed and I figured he might consolidate some of the labor. I'll post the bill later in case anyone has an interest in transmission service charges. He only charged me $25 to replace the bushing, which turned out to be the problem. I asked the mechanic if he had a hard time replacing it and he said he removed the arm and did it on the bench. I think he said he used a bench vice.
My center bearing is shot so he ordered it ( a complete assembly, rather than individual parts). I'll have that done when it comes in next week.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldcar85
Mercedes Parts was close to the transmission shop, so I picked up a shift lever bushing just in case that was the problem and the transmission place didn't have it. When I got to the transmission place he said he had one, but would use mine if needed. I had also scheduled a transmission service which the car needed and I figured he might consolidate some of the labor. I'll post the bill later in case anyone has an interest in transmission service charges. He only charged me $25 to replace the bushing, which turned out to be the problem. I asked the mechanic if he had a hard time replacing it and he said he removed the arm and did it on the bench. I think he said he used a bench vice.
My center bearing is shot so he ordered it ( a complete assembly, rather than individual parts). I'll have that done when it comes in next week.
Uro Parts
Center Support/Support Bearing; Driveshaft Center Support with Bearing
This latest version from Uro Parts now comes WITH the driveshaft bearing included in the unit. 1 per car.
Members of other forums who have used this Part made by URO claim it failed early.
Ask the Mechanic what kind of warranty you are going to get on the part.

Changing the Support mean at the very least the Front of the Drive Shaft has to come apart. When I did Mine I took the Whole Driveshaft out.
You Drive Shaft has Rubber Flex Discs on each end. While the Mechanic is removing the Drive Shaft He may discover that the Flex discs need to be replaced due to cracking of them.
What is important about them is that when the come a part the often damage stuff under the Car. I read of one case where it cracked off the end of the Transmission.

The point I am trying to make is don't use cheapie Flex Discs. I put Lemförder/Lemfoerder/Lemforder Made in Germany ones on mine.

However, when you have a question concerning the quality of Parts you can ask the Moderator ForcedInduction which parts are good quality Parts.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Below is a pic of one of the ways the do-it-yourself crowd installs the Shifter Bushings:

I forgot to mention on the Drive Shaft at each end is a Bushing that centers it. Those Bushings can be worn and they need some Grease inside to lube them.

Attached Thumbnails Problem a shift lever bushing?-shifter-bushing-tool-2.jpg   Problem a shift lever bushing?-shifter-bushing-tool-1.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel9112
Below is a pic of one of the ways the do-it-yourself crowd installs the Shifter Bushings:

I forgot to mention on the Drive Shaft at each end is a Bushing that centers it. Those Bushings can be worn and they need some Grease inside to lube them.
Diesel9112 and Forced.

Thanks for all your help. This is helping me decide what I want done for my car. I'm copying and pasting into Open Office so when I speak to the shop owner on the phone before having the work done I'll be able to decide what I want done. I e-mailed him and told him about complaints about URO because he already ordered some kit. I don't know which kit. He told me about 2 hours for the center bearing. Price approximately $260 + taxes, so I'm not sure how much that leaves for the kit as I imagine his hourly rate is near $100 and maybe some charges for shop supplies and whatever.

Can either of you recommend a quality Drive shaft Center Support with Bearing assembly?

I had the flex discs replaced maybe 8-10 years ago by a shop. He said I only needed one. I told him to put both in, but he is always crowded and I never was sure that he did put both in. Maybe time to do the flex discs too. So if I have them done looks like Lemförder/Lemfoerder/Lemforder Made in Germany might be the way to go.

Are the Driveshaft Centering Bushings at each end of the driveshaft likely candidates for replacement? Any other candidates for replacement if he has the drive shaft out as I imagine he will?

I don't know which brands he can get from his suppliers, or how flexible he is but I don't want to get cheap stuff for critical components. I don't want to come across as telling him how to run his business as I'm certainly not qualified to do that. He really does a good job controlling his work flow and dealing with customers.

Let me try and attach the transmission bill in case other might like to see the charges. It's approximately 600x800 png file and 461 KB. Might be too big.

Attached Thumbnails Problem a shift lever bushing?-stop-gotransmissionservicebill.jpg