Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Default Turbo help

I have a "87 Mercedes 300TD. 6 cylinder diesel turbo. I believe I have a Garrett. The actuator or I'm not sure what to call it is frozen - I have zero boost. The arm that controls the wastegate doesn't move. It's stuck on the vacuum side - the wastegate seems to move freely inside the turbo but the rod doesn't. I want to change it over to a complete mechanical system - non vacuum. I knew something was wrong for in the last 6 months it was almost always in boost and my mileage dropped about 4-5 mpg. Looking for some advice and help. I believe I need or want the mechanical wastegate assembly. I use this car for work so I need to fix this quickly if possible. I assume the turbo is fine and had it Dynoed at 108hp at the rear wheels when I got the car and my mileage city hwy is about 22mpg. As long as something is broken and I have it totally apart or the vacuum is not operating correctly I wanted to do a long term fix and disassemble the vacuum and go mechanical. I hope I'm describing this correctly.

Paul
*Edited, please do not put your phone number or e-mail in the open forum. It will only be fodder for spammers.*