Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Starting my "new" diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Default Starting my "new" diesel

I recently purchased my first diesel car, a 1978 240D, for cummuting reasons.

This morning when I went out to go to the local car parts store for new windshield wipers the car would not start. The man I bought the car from told me the basics: 1) Wait for the glow light to go out 2) Give it 1/2 throttle and 3) turn the key to start. Of course this worked in his presence and I had no issues at all, but this morning, on my own, the car will not turn over. Is it possible to flood the motor from trying too many times at 1/2 throttle? I live in San Francisco so the weather is not an issue.

Looking for some tips for a diesel "newbie"

Old 04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Default RE: Starting my "new" diesel

I have had my 85' 300D for 7 yrs and have given it 1/2 throttle when starting and havent flooded the engine. Does the engine crank slowly but not turn over?

Old 04-24-2005, 08:08 PM

O.K! I'm not sure from your description if the engine is spinning or not. Does it spin over and not crank and run or does it not spin over at all??

If it is not spinning over at all you may have a very simple problem. Turn the key to the glow plug position. When the light goes out turn it to the start position and hold it there. Now with your other hand wiggle the shifter (if it is an automatic) and see if it starts to spin over. My daughters 240D does that. If she pushes the stick shift to the right (hard against the right side) the engine will spin over. If she does not, it never makes a sound. The "safety neutral" switch needs to be adjusted/replaced but I just have not done it.

Let us know if this works.

Good luck,
Tony T

Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 AM

Maybe you need to glow longer. In my 87 300 D, I turn the key and wait 30 seconds (cold engine) or until I hear a click sound from under the hood (GP relay/timer) before engaging the starter. You'll see less smoke at start up too!

This would also be a good time to replace fuel filters and air filter too. Old fuel filters can cause a diesel to start hard, or not at all!

Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I finally got the Ole Girl started...I think it's was just all about knowing how to massage that 27 year old car. After a few practice rounds I think I know exactly what to do. I think I was a little to shy with the gas pedal...I'm now giving it at least 1/2 throttle at first and tapping it down a little further as she starts to grab and VROOOOM! or should I say RAAATTTLE-RAAATTLE!

BTW-the engine was spinning, just not cranking.

Thanks again and I look forward to many miles to come.