Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Some General Mercedes Diesel Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Default Some General Mercedes Diesel Questions...

(1)Is the main differance between 190D,240D, and 300D, only the horsepower each has? I am looking at some early to mid 80 models in each of these. (2) All things being equal, such as year and quality and price, which would you purchase? I am a farmer/rancher, and am only familiar with diesel tractors as far as performance and longevity. (3) If I find one of these models in decent shape as far as appearance and repairs, how many miles is too many miles? Better to rephrase this, can a 200K-250K Mercedes still be considered a dependable vehicle? (4) What is normal, as far as oil consumption for these high mileage Mercedes I am referring to? Should there be any blowby in a 200K+ car? Is 1 qt per 1000 miles considered normal, 2qt per 1000 miles? I know the 190 D does probably get the better fuel economy over the 240D and 300D, which is one of my main focus points. I am not looking for a pristene vehicle, just one that can run 20-30 miles per day on parts runs to town, and get me in the 25MPG-30MPG range. Which would you recommend? Like I stated, I am a farmer/rancher, and am used to working on quite a bit of my own equipment, so doing some work on the diesel motors would not seem strange to me. I appreciate any comments and input you may provide.
Thank you,
coadman

Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Default RE: Some General Mercedes Diesel Questions...

ORIGINAL: coadman

(1)Is the main differance between 190D,240D, and 300D, only the horsepower each has? I am looking at some early to mid 80 models in each of these.

I didn't know they made a 190 D in the 80's The 240 is good for about 67 HP, the 300 if turbo'd for about 120 HP

(2) All things being equal, such as year and quality and price, which would you purchase? I am a farmer/rancher, and am only familiar with diesel tractors as far as performance and longevity.

If you don't mind going slow, get the 240. otherwise, I prefer my 300. These motors are like tractor motors, very stout and reliable I am very partial to the early to mid 80's models.

(3) If I find one of these models in decent shape as far as appearance and repairs, how many miles is too many miles? Better to rephrase this, can a 200K-250K Mercedes still be considered a dependable vehicle?

Both of my 300's have between 200 and 240K and I am very happy with each of them

(4) What is normal, as far as oil consumption for these high mileage Mercedes I am referring to? Should there be any blowby in a 200K+ car? Is 1 qt per 1000 miles considered normal, 2qt per 1000 miles? I know the 190 D does probably get the better fuel economy over the 240D and 300D, which is one of my main focus points. I am not looking for a pristene vehicle, just one that can run 20-30 miles per day on parts runs to town, and get me in the 25MPG-30MPG range. Which would you recommend? Like I stated, I am a farmer/rancher, and am used to working on quite a bit of my own equipment, so doing some work on the diesel motors would not seem strange to me. I appreciate any comments and input you may provide.

If you want 25 to 30 MPG, you probably want a 240, my 300's get between 20 and 25.

a quart every thousand is reasonable, and a little blowby is okay, I have heard that you should be able to remove the oil cap and kind of lay it back down over the hole and it shouldn't fly off, but just kind of percolate, the thing I watch for in these cars is the cold start quality, if they get low on compression they will get lazy about starting cold.
Thank you,
coadman

Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Kent Bergsma, of mercedessource.com sayshis favorite is the 300D T, 123 chassis between 1982 and 1985. If you don't mind hundreds of bugs committing suicide on the rear window then the 240D is also an excellentmodel.But because of a very difficult to get to heater system, steer clear of the years 1979 and 1980.

It seems to be clear that that all 123 chassis diesels are are often good for 500,000 mile ormore.

About 9 months ago Ipaid $400. formy first MB, a 1982 300D T. My wife named him Bruno. It was pure luck and could have easily sold for $1000. He had 312,000 miles on the od which was backed up by the log book. (He now has 321,000 and purrs like a big fat German cat. ) He's rust free, no cracks in dash, has good compression, and very little blow back. All power windows, sun roof and doors work. The A/C also works but the compressor is occasionally noisy.He burns little less than 1 qt of oil per 3000 miles, but thenhe does have a couple of oil leaks... which I'll eventually repair.

On the negative side, the driver's seat back was worn through.. I replaced it with a good one from a junkyardfor $50. The carpets were very dirty, but cleaned up with a lot of elbow grease. The clear coat is peeling on the roof, the hood and the trunk. It wasn't idling too well, so I replaced the injector nozzles. In the process Ifound a bad injector and had it repaired. The steering was sloppy, so I replaced the steering gear with a rebuilt one.The dash lights weren't working, so I took a couple of coat hangers, made some pullers, and in about 15 minutes pulled the dash cluster... I could have merely changed the 2 lights and rheostat, but I took it apart and lightly painted on new glow in the dark on all of the dial hands. I replaced the rheostat and two burned out 2.5 W dash lights bulbs with 4.5 Watt bulbs that I got from NAPA... The dash is now adjustable from dim to very bright.

That said, IMHO, your best bet is to advertize in a local newspaper with the biggest circulation. Be prepared to pay up to $3000. for a creampuff with around 200, 000 miles on the OD.... and which can be verified with a logbook. But first go to http://www.mercedessource.com/search/node/buyers+guideand buy Kent Bergsma's book, The Mercedes Diesel Buyer's Survival Guide Book.... Then my amigo, you'll be an armed and dangerous buyer!
Good luck and best wishes,
charlie

Old 01-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

They did make 190D in the 80s the 2.2 in 84-85 and the 190D 2.5D in 87.

Take a look at the buy/avoid sticky at the top of the Diesel discussion forum main page.

https://mercedesforum.com/m_64075/tm.htm

Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 AM

I know i sound like a broken reccord but dont forget the W115. i know you are looking for a mid eightly model but the w115's are as simple as a brick and just as durable. the w115s are non turbo to turbos first arrived in the 83' wagon and then in the 84' sedan

just expanding your realm of knowldge about the roots of your upcoming purchase.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: otm646

I know i sound like a broken reccord but dont forget the W115. i know you are looking for a mid eightly model but the w115's are as simple as a brick and just as durable. the w115s are non turbo to turbos first arrived in the 83' wagon and then in the 84' sedan

just expanding your realm of knowldge about the roots of your upcoming purchase.
I loved all three of my 115's

hated changing the heater blower

hated the rust

hated the rain water leaks