Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Smok'in and no low end power

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Default Smok'in and no low end power

83 mercedes 300sd: Running on 50/50 waste oil. After running waste oil for 2-3000 miles started smoking alot and big loss of power especialy off the line. Smoking more at idle and coming out from under hood, Not able to pin point were it is coming from. It seems to be coming from under the turbo, can't be sure.
Help!! Thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Smok'in and no low end power

Wow! A brain surgeon!!!
That was helpful. No suggestions? No input what so ever, just snotty remarks? You should have just said I was wasting my time posting on your site.
I expected a little more, especially from the moderator.
Thanks for wasting my time.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 AM

Well, you just found out how easy it is to trash an expensive engine by using the wrong fuel. Do you have $8K to have it rebuilt? Yeah, I didn't think so or you wouldn't have been putting crap in it to begin with. Don't bother trying to fix the engine. If you're body is still good, take a couple G, go buy a running car with a bad body and swap the engine. Next time only use diesel.

I suppose you could start removing things and wash the block to look for the leak, but what are you going to do when you find it?

The biggest problem with your post is that you assume some sort of clairvoyance. Most mechanics can fairly guess at a problem with the right amount of information but when all you contribute is that it smokes a lot and has a big loss of power, how is anyone supposed to be able to help you with that?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 AM

On the other hand, I gotta hand it to guys like you because all you're doing is driving up prices on remaining cars by taking a few more out of the pool of availability. My 300CD just went up by $5. Cha-Ching!

Where do you get the ridiculous notion that you can put waste oil through a finely engineered piece of machinery? Don't you think if it was made to do that there would have been a fuel revolution 30 years ago? Crap. Carter might have won a second term! Did your buddy down at the 7-11 tell you it was okay? Did it ever occur to you to wonder why your buddy is working at the 7-11 instead of being out there marketing his idea and making a million bucks or why perhaps he's not on staff at the local Benz dealership? That's right, it's because your buddy is a moron.

Next time, think about the consequences of your actions and do a little research first before you go and destroy something.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 AM

Without arguing the pros and cons of running W oil. Everyone needs to look up LoveCraft.com and do some studies and watch the videos from CNN. There are a lot of oils that are used for diesel motors that are a lot better to use through your system than diesel fuel. Diesel motors were manufactured way before diesel fuel came into existance. Canola oil or however you spell it is the best and has been used for a long time by farmers. It has more BTUs, and lubricates the lines and injectors. W oil I would be careful with because without drying it and running it through a seperator you can clog filters quicker and maybe cause engine damage. I have been running W oil from very expensive restaurants for 2 yrs and have had zero problems. I spent about $900 to get all the machine ready parts to work with the W oil. I have saved about $12000 driving for free.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Default RE: Smok'

Just out of curiousity paul, are you paying your state's road fuel tax? If not, you may find yourself in the same boat as Schwarzenegger did: owing a lot of back taxes for not paying the state per gallon of fuel used.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: bodyworkessentials

83 mercedes 300sd: Running on 50/50 waste oil. After running waste oil for 2-3000 miles started smoking alot and big loss of power especialy off the line. Smoking more at idle and coming out from under hood, Not able to pin point were it is coming from. It seems to be coming from under the turbo, can't be sure.
Help!! Thanks
What are you refering to as waste oil? Old resturant oil can be used but you do need to do a lot of work to it if you want to keep your car. Old, waste, engine oil or tranny oilhas a lot of bad stuff in it and I would not want to run it because of the risk even though I have heard of filtering it enough. There is a reason you change the engine oil other than it breaks down but because it has soot and other grit in it afterwhile and if you run that you are just putting that stuff back in the engine.
There are a lot of people running WVO but the ones who are doing it successfully spend a lot of time and money so they do it right and you may be one of those people but there are a lot of people that think they just dump the stuff in there and it will all be OK. When you started using waste oil did you change all the fuel lines that get eaten up by it? If not that might be a place to start looking.
OK thats my 2 cents.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Actually, I found the Lovecraft site to be most informative.

The phrase that I stumbled across that I like the best was "Prior to the engine blowing up the car was in perfect running order". Indeed.