Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Opinion Please => 1975 240D, 55K Miles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Default RE: Opinion Please => 1975 240D, 55K Miles!

ORIGINAL: seagreen12

Thats interesting I had a guy at Walmart offer me $1000 for mine, and its rusted out in the floor boards but runs killer, its a 4 speed 76 240 D, ( i traded a 22 pistol for it and put about $280 in tires and belts) Interior is great, 91K on the clock, no wear on the rubber parts of the pedals, seats are very good shape but spongy I pulled off the mercedes tex and cut up some foam interlocking pad(s) I stole from my kids it worked remarkably well, My head liner in the rear pillar areahas shrunk and split but only that one section.Just tonightmy clutch is doing some funky pedal stuff shifts fine majority of the time but the pedal seems to sink to the floor on occasion.

Often i find that my idea of value and some official value are two differnt things- its worth what I want to pay or trade for it and thats it. I was really considering selling it but I like it better then any of my cars or trucks it has style and is fun to drive and gets 32mpg stop and go driving.

Let us know what you get it for...

All the best in 007
I was quite impressed when you first traded a 22 for that car. It sounds like you made out like a bandit... particularly if you're good with your hands, weld in new floor boards, and eventuallyrepair that clutch, etc. If the rust is not terminal,it'll probably last for years.... Does the heater work ok?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 AM

My brother in laws kid works in boat building bussiness he is bringing me some kevlar/fiber glass
I have cut out the rust put in chicken wire to keep my dog from falling through the floor and will glass the whole area in. My welder went south I was trying to weld a little project for my mother in law yesterday and the drive motor for the wire feed burnd up. its a 115v 80 amp daytona mig, with a lot of wire run through it....
Can u explain the deal of the heater I live in Florida and it hasnt gotten cold enough yet to check it out,
I just got put on call to go back to Middle East and the wife says she doesnt want it sitting in the drive way! Along with all te other junk I barter for, Sorry didnt mean to highjack the post.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Sorry to learn about your re-deployment. But it sounds like you're a go getter who'll have the floor boards and other rust spots and that intermitten clutch problemrepaired in no time.. So maybe you can sell it and turn a quick profit before you get your orders.
Re: Heater on the 1975 240: According to Kent Bergsma, (from his book, "Mercedes Diesel Buyer'sSurvival Guide.") of http://www.mercedessource.com the heaters don't go out all that often, but when they do, it takes 20 hours or more for an experienced MB mechanic to get to it and repair. I know Kent has made a heater kit for the 1980 300D which saves a lot of time and money. Maybe he also has one for your auto. Check it out at his site... or phone him.... His daughter will answer the phone and seems tobe familiar with all of Kent's systems, books, partsand kits. I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
charlie