Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Opinion Please => 1975 240D, 55K Miles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Default Opinion Please => 1975 240D, 55K Miles!

OK folks, I've found a 1975 240D "time machine." Fifty-five thousand original one-owner miles,garaged from day one. I've been looking for a place to get a reasonable value for the car but I've come up with a ton of varying information.

Everything is very good to excellent. Original everything except tires and a few normal wear items like filters, etc. Not sure if it's an auto or 4-speed;I'll find out tomorrow. Original paint with no rust. MB-Tex interior in great shape. Everything works and the car is very well sorted.

What should this car be worth in today's market?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Default RE: Opinion Please => 1975 240D, 55K Miles!

ORIGINAL: Drrty240D

OK folks, I've found a 1975 240D "time machine." Fifty-five thousand original one-owner miles,garaged from day one. I've been looking for a place to get a reasonable value for the car but I've come up with a ton of varying information.

Everything is very good to excellent. Original everything except tires and a few normal wear items like filters, etc. Not sure if it's an auto or 4-speed;I'll find out tomorrow. Original paint with no rust. MB-Tex interior in great shape. Everything works and the car is very well sorted.

What should this car be worth in today's market?

Kent Bergsma of mercedessource.com says the 115 chassis from 1973 to 1975 were fitted with the much larger US impact bumbers with black rubber guards that gave it a heavy look. It seems somecollectors feel those bumbers runined the original design. But they're tough and can still be seen being used as Taxis in many 3rd world countries. And there's a lot of collectors of this particular diesel. Ones in top condition will bring over $5000. and are highly sought after. Best picks are 1974 to 1976 240D with 4 speed manual transmission. "

That said, it's my guess, if your 115 comes with all logs and records with which you can prove the milage and has a manual 4 speed tranny, yours may be worth well over $10,000.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: ForcedInduction

You 100% sure it's 055,000 miles? The W115 240D had a 5-digit odometer so it could easily have 155,000 after rolling over once.
Yes, son of original owner has full docs to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that 55K is the true and original mileage. The condition of the vehicle supports the claim.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Charles Munn

Kent Bergsma of mercedessource.com says the 115 chassis from 1973 to 1975 were fitted with the much larger US impact bumbers with black rubber guards that gave it a heavy look. It seems somecollectors feel those bumbers runined the original design. But they're tough and can still be seen being used as Taxis in many 3rd world countries. And there's a lot of collectors of this particular diesel. Ones in top condition will bring over $5000. and are highly sought after. Best picks are 1974 to 1976 240D with 4 speed manual transmission. "

That said, it's my guess, if your 115 comes with all logs and records with which you can prove the milage and has a manual 4 speed tranny, yours may be worth well over $10,000.
Thanks, Charles - in the $10K range was what I was thinking. I'm headed to the owner's home this evening to give the car a very close inspection. If the car passes muster I'll be trailering it home sometime this weekend. This could be a nice way to start 2007.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Drrty240D

Thanks, Charles - in the $10K range was what I was thinking. I'm headed to the owner's home this evening to give the car a very close inspection. If the car passes muster I'll be trailering it home sometime this weekend. This could be a nice way to start 2007.
Excitingnews! Please keep us informed.... and if you buy it, please post some pics.....
best wishes,
charlie

Old 12-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Well done on your rare find. Do post pics when you can.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM

It might be interesting to keep an eye on thisebay 1975 240D. The owner claims it only has ( at least I seem to remember ) 122000 miles... but it's an automatic transmission... Still, the final bid might give you an idea of the degree of interest in this particular MB... 10 bidders so far and it has over 5 more days to run....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Well, I checked out thecar-- all indications are that the carHAS traveled155K.Clutch pedal wear, seat wear, sandblasting on the windshield, stone chips on the front clip, etc. all indicate having traveled over 100K. Still in very nice condition, but certainly not the 55K time machine I was expecting to find.I've made apurchase offer for a much lower price than the original asking price. Car is largelyrust free and in very restorable condition. Let's see what happens...

Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Disappointing to say the least. I hate it when someone tries to get slick. I'd probably walk away and maybe miss out on a good deal.. Still, I hope you get it at your price.....But before any money changes hands,I hope you check blow by ( you probably know this, but just in case, see a blow by test here: http://www.dieselgiant.com/mercedes_...nance_tips.htm) That's a rare engine, but ifyoucompletely open thefiller cap and, while the engine is running, let it set over the filler cap and if it doesn't get blown off, but sorta sits there and percalates, that's acceptable blow by. Another test is to remove the air breathertube from theair filter and block it off.An ok engine will run for about5 or10 seconds... a good one runs for 20 to 30 seconds. A bad engine stops between 3 and 4 seconds.Then cut the engine,open the air filter and check for excessive oil. And last but not least, check out the heater fan etc... If it doesn't work, walk away..It's probably not worth the effort.

But if you do get it at a good price, please keep us posted.... Either way, I'd sure like to know what the asking price was/is, blow by rating and heater condition, and your offer, etc....
Best of Luck,
charlie

Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Thats interesting I had a guy at Walmart offer me $1000 for mine, and its rusted out in the floor boards but runs killer, its a 4 speed 76 240 D, ( i traded a 22 pistol for it and put about $280 in tires and belts) Interior is great, 91K on the clock, no wear on the rubber parts of the pedals, seats are very good shape but spongy I pulled off the mercedes tex and cut up some foam interlocking pad(s) I stole from my kids it worked remarkably well, My head liner in the rear pillar areahas shrunk and split but only that one section.Just tonightmy clutch is doing some funky pedal stuff shifts fine majority of the time but the pedal seems to sink to the floor on occasion.

Often i find that my idea of value and some official value are two differnt things- its worth what I want to pay or trade for it and thats it. I was really considering selling it but I like it better then any of my cars or trucks it has style and is fun to drive and gets 32mpg stop and go driving.

Let us know what you get it for...

All the best in 007

Quick Reply: Opinion Please => 1975 240D, 55K Miles!